Finding the Equation of a Stream on a Hill Using Multivariable Calculus

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the equation of a stream passing through a given point on a surface, using the gradient vector and parametrization to solve a differential equation. The final equation for the stream was determined to be ln(y)=3ln(x)+C.
kekido

Homework Statement

The height of a hill is given as the following:
[tex]
h \left( x,y \right) =40\, (\left( 4+{x}^{2}+3\,{y}^{2} \right) ^{-1})
[/tex]

There's a stream passes the point (1,1,5) which is on the surface of h. The stream follows the steepest descent. Find the equation of the stream.

Homework Equations

I take this is relevant to the tangent hyperplane of a surface.

Tangent plane at point a is: f(a)+gradient(f(a)) dot (x-a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the path of the stream is the intersection of the surface h and a plane orthogonal to the tangent plane at point (1,1,5), but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
The tangent plane has many different orthogonal planes. You are thinking in too many dimensions. Just regard h as a function of x,y. Then the gradient of h will point in the direction of most rapid change of h.

So I take the gradient of h at point (1,1), which gives me grad(a)=(-10,-30). But the path of the stream isn't going to be a straight line, is it? How do I get the equation of the stream using only the gradient and the point at which the gradient is taken?

No, it isn't going to be a straight line. Can you see how to use the gradient vector to compute the slope of steepest descent direction at an arbitrary point (x,y)? Then parametrize the solution curve as (x(t),y(t)). The slope of this solution curve is y'(t)/x'(t)=dy/dx. Equate the two slopes and solve the differential equation.

Last edited:
Forgive me I'm not used to differential equations. Here's what I've got:
The gradient of a point (x,y) on the surface is (-80x/_blah_, -240y/_blah_). So the slope at (x,y) is -240y/-80x=-3y/x. this should be equal to dy/dx. Move sides =>dy/y=3dx/x, integrate both sides, ln(y)=ln(x)+C. Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

kekido said:
Forgive me I'm not used to differential equations. Here's what I've got:
The gradient of a point (x,y) on the surface is (-80x/_blah_, -240y/_blah_). So the slope at (x,y) is -240y/-80x=-3y/x. this should be equal to dy/dx. Move sides =>dy/y=3dx/x, integrate both sides, ln(y)=ln(x)+C. Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

You are very much on the right track. But what happened to the '3'?

Dick said:
You are very much on the right track. But what happened to the '3'?

Oops...that was a typo. It's supposed to be ln(y)=3ln(x)+C.

However, I haven't used the fact that the stream passes through point (1,1,5) yet...Can I just plug in the point into the equation: ln(1)=3ln(1)+C, then C=0. Therefore, is the equation of the stream ln(y)=3ln(x)?

Thanks.

kekido said:
Oops...that was a typo. It's supposed to be ln(y)=3ln(x)+C.

However, I haven't used the fact that the stream passes through point (1,1,5) yet...Can I just plug in the point into the equation: ln(1)=3ln(1)+C, then C=0. Therefore, is the equation of the stream ln(y)=3ln(x)?

Thanks.

Yes and yes. If you exponentiate both sides you can get a simpler expression.

Great! Thanks a lot man.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of more than one variable. It involves the use of partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus to analyze and solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are some real-world applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has various practical applications such as optimization, curve fitting, and motion in multiple dimensions. It is used in fields such as machine learning, computer graphics, and fluid dynamics to model and analyze complex systems.

3. What are the key concepts in multivariable calculus?

The key concepts in multivariable calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector fields, line integrals, surface integrals, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operations. These concepts are used to describe and analyze functions of multiple variables and their relationships.

4. How is multivariable calculus different from single variable calculus?

Multivariable calculus deals with functions of more than one variable, while single variable calculus focuses on functions of a single variable. Multivariable calculus also involves the use of vector calculus, which is not present in single variable calculus. Additionally, in multivariable calculus, the concepts of partial derivatives and multiple integrals are introduced to handle functions with multiple variables.

5. What are some helpful tips for studying multivariable calculus?

Some helpful tips for studying multivariable calculus include practicing problems from different perspectives, understanding the graphical interpretations of concepts, and mastering the fundamental theorems. It is also helpful to review single variable calculus concepts as they are often used in multivariable calculus. Additionally, working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor can aid in understanding difficult concepts.