Animation/visualization of galactic rotation rates (dark matter)

In summary, Dave provides some resources for visualizing the dynamics of galaxies. He also mentions that although stars orbit at the same speed, that doesn't mean they rotate at the same angular velocity. Spiral patterns are generally considered to be density waves, which is explained in more detail in a book. Dave concludes by saying that although animations are helpful, books are also a good source of information.
Peeter
I was reading the wiki page on dark matter, and have trouble visualizing how galaxies keep their shape if most of the stars rotate at the same rate. If I try to imagine this (ie: without any sort of math modelling of the gravity interactions involved) I picture everything just merging into a big amorphous disk instead of shapes like spirals.

Does anybody know of a nice animation or visualization of long term effects of a gravity model of a spiral galaxy? Ideally I'd like to see how the rotation would look over time with and without the dark matter distribution.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I posted this on an astronomy forum that I found associated with the awesome "astronomy cast" podcasts. There I was recommended to look for info on "spiral density waves in galaxies" and found something pretty close to what I was looking for. Will mark thread as solved.

Peeter said:
...Does anybody know of a nice animation or visualization of long term effects of a gravity model of a spiral galaxy?..
I don't think these are exactly what you are looking for but these might help.

Formation of a spiral galaxy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEEd3oOf9To&feature=related

A Galaxy is born:

Formation of a Star Cluster:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GoQ08ONholQ

.. and of course, the Dark Matter Bullet Cluster video:
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~jwise/research/movies/HiResBullet.mov

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, those were interesting to watch. It's kind of amazing to see the dynamics of such large scale structures visualized. Looking at pictures of galaxies I never thought of them as very dynamic structures, whereas there's a massive amount of complex motion involved, with little galaxies forming and being absorbed. Modelling one of these must be interesting. Even just considering gravitational effects it's a big calculation, but when you add in the facts that each of the "points" is potentially a big nuclear engine it's quite phenomenal!

Peeter said:
I was reading the wiki page on dark matter, and have trouble visualizing how galaxies keep their shape if most of the stars rotate at the same rate. If I try to imagine this (ie: without any sort of math modelling of the gravity interactions involved) I picture everything just merging into a big amorphous disk instead of shapes like spirals.

Note that although stars orbit at the same speed, that doesn't mean they rotate at the same angular velocity, so stars closer to the centre still have shorter orbital periods than stars further out.

Also, the spiral pattern is generally considered to be a density wave. Stars and gas actually pass through arms, and the gas gets temporarily compressed as it passes through, which causes the star formation that makes spiral arms bright with lots of young O/B stars. Does that help you to visualise what's going on?

Peeter said:
Does anybody know of a nice animation or visualization of long term effects of a gravity model of a spiral galaxy? Ideally I'd like to see how the rotation would look over time with and without the dark matter distribution.

If you google "galaxy animation" you should find a bunch pretty easily. That or search for universities that do galaxy simulations, and find the animations on their webpages.

AstroDave said:
Does that help you to visualise what's going on?

Yes, thank you Dave.

While not video, the book Galactic Dynamics (2008) is very helpful. It shows how the spirals and whatnot form due to something that looks like traffic jams. It's pretty cool stuff.

1. What is dark matter and why is it important in galactic rotation rates?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that does not absorb, reflect, or emit light and is therefore invisible to direct observation. Its presence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. It is important in galactic rotation rates because it is thought to make up a significant portion of the total mass in galaxies and plays a crucial role in determining their rotation rates.

2. How can animation/visualization help us understand galactic rotation rates and dark matter?

Animation/visualization can help us understand galactic rotation rates and dark matter by providing a visual representation of the complex interactions between visible matter and dark matter in a galaxy. It can also show the effects of different rotation rates and the distribution of dark matter within a galaxy.

3. What data is used to create animations/visualizations of galactic rotation rates?

Data from various sources such as observations from telescopes, simulations, and theoretical models are used to create animations/visualizations of galactic rotation rates. This includes information about the distribution of visible matter, the rotation curve of a galaxy, and the predicted presence and distribution of dark matter.

4. How do scientists measure galactic rotation rates and determine the amount of dark matter present?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure galactic rotation rates, such as observing the Doppler shift of spectral lines or studying the motion of stars and gas within a galaxy. To determine the amount of dark matter present, they use the observed rotation rates and distribution of visible matter to calculate the amount of mass needed to explain the motions, which is then compared to the total mass in the galaxy.

5. What new insights have been gained from animations/visualizations of galactic rotation rates and dark matter?

Animations/visualizations of galactic rotation rates and dark matter have provided new insights into the complex dynamics of galaxies and the role of dark matter in shaping their structures. They have also helped to refine our understanding of the distribution and properties of dark matter, and have led to the discovery of new phenomena such as dark matter halos and streams.