What is the oldest thing you own?

• Thread starter OAQfirst
  • Start date
In summary, an expert summarizer of content would say that the person has a few coins from the Roman Empire, a book of mathematics from 1915, a Roman coin, a 4th edition of Origin of Species, a 90-120 year old mandolin, an old soprano saxophone, and fossils that date back to 440 million years ago.
OAQfirst
I acquired an iron & bronze buckle dated 7th-10th century Bulgaria. I'd like to think it belonged to Krum, but that's a long shot. I also have an Orthoceras cabochon (Devonian - c. 400 mya).

Do you have any fossils or ancient artifacts?

Physics news on Phys.org
My parents own this ancient musical device that cavemen used to use, I assume for tribal rituals such as rain dances and the like when music was needed.

I don't know what the device is called, but I do know that is has 8 tracks...

G01 said:
My parents own this ancient musical device that cavemen used to use, I assume for tribal rituals such as rain dances and the like when music was needed.

I don't know what the device is called, but I do know that is has 8 tracks...

:mad:

I still have Donny Osmond and Captain and Tenille on 8-track.

Mostly dirt and rocks which have been around since the Earth was formed, besides the quark and leptons which have been around since the beginning of whenever. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
I still have Donny Osmond and Captain and Tenille on 8-track. :uhh:

I have a geode that may be over 3 billion years old.

Actually, I was given a Roman coin circa 1st century B.C. by a Smithsonian numismatist.

We find fossils and petrified wood all over the property.

I have some coins and stamps that go back a bit but I'm not sure how old the oldest one is anymore.

Math Is Hard said:
I still have Donny Osmond and Captain and Tenille on 8-track.

I didn't realize that we had a Donny Osmond fan!

We once caught my little sister making out with her Donny Osmond poster. Did you kiss your poster too?

Ivan Seeking said:
I didn't realize that we had a Donny Osmond fan!

Oh, heavens, yes! "And they call it - puppy lo-o-O-ove..". :!)
And I lived for the Donny and Marie show.
We once caught my little sister making out with her Donny Osmond poster. Did you kiss your poster too?

um..maybe. :redface:

i've probably got a fossil or two in a drawer or box, but mostly they just get left where found.

100_0504.jpg

Well, more on the personal level...I have the wedding bands of my great-grandma, grandma, and my mother, that I wear every day! :biggrin:

I have fossils from 440 million years ago. They are everywhere you step here.

Somewhere I have some Roman coins.

My oldest possesion is a book of mathematics from 1915

1915 A.D. or B.C.?

I have AD and BC stuff, two 60s motorbikes, and things in between.

I have a couple of parents who are quite old.

A few fossils, a Roman coin, and an 18th Century bureau.

I have a pretty good collection of rough gemstones that I will eventually facet into "shiny rocks" for jewelry. Those are old. I have some rough sapphires from Yogo Gulch that formed long ago (at least back in the days of Bill Hayley and the Comets) and ended up in the river-bed when the host rock was eroded away.

my jokes

Nothing that old really. I once passed a charity shop that had a 4th edition Origin of Species that I very much regret not having any money for. Sometimes being a bum sucks.

I've many potshards, no arrowheads though, so that's my BC stuff.

As far as old AD I have some coins, my mandolin (90 to 120 years old, by our estimation) and a soprano saxophone that is pretty old too.

Oh and a few fossils to round out the prehistoric.

Last edited:
On a serious note,

I have a 1915 copy of Heisenbergs, "The Physical Principles of Quantum Theory."

Not nearly as old as Evo's. Only a mere 45 million years old.
FishFosile.jpg

1. What is the definition of "oldest thing"?

The oldest thing refers to an object or item that has existed for the longest period of time, compared to other objects or items in a particular category or context.

2. How do scientists determine the age of an object?

Scientists use various methods such as radiocarbon dating, dendrochronology, and stratigraphy to determine the age of an object. These methods rely on different principles and techniques, such as analyzing the decay of radioactive isotopes, counting tree rings, and studying the layers of sediment in which an object is found.

3. What is the oldest known object on Earth?

The oldest object on Earth is a zircon mineral found in Western Australia, estimated to be around 4.4 billion years old. It was formed during the early stages of the Earth's formation.

4. Can objects be older than the Earth?

No, it is not possible for an object to be older than the Earth itself, as all objects on Earth were formed after its creation. However, there are objects in the universe that are much older than the Earth, such as stars and galaxies.

5. What is the oldest living organism on Earth?

The oldest living organism on Earth is a bristlecone pine tree found in California, estimated to be around 5,000 years old. However, there are some species of bacteria that have existed for millions of years, making them the oldest living organisms on Earth.