Computer programming a great career?

In summary, some people don't mind sitting down on a desk with a cup of coffee and solving some problems on computer, mostly coding for whatever it be. They are thinking of persuing their career in computer programming, and are looking for any advice or suggestions on their future path. They feel that the field is lucrative, especially if you consider the amount of work required, and that there is always work available. However, they do mention that there is poor job security, and that most programmers change jobs every few years.
lovemake1
Some people don't mind sitting down on a desk with a cup of coffee and
solve some problems on computer, (mostly coding for whatever it be).

im thinking of persuing my career as a programmer and i think it suits my personality and my
strength.
Im looking for anyone whos currently working in a computer programming field and any regrets for your education? or anything that you would like to change if you were to go back in time?

For me i think computer programming seems like a very interesting job. i would love to sit
down with group of guys and think of innovative ideas to change the world with our technology.

If there are any suggestions or advice for me concerning my future careers please let me know. I am open for any cons/pros or anything i should watch out for. Thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a good occupation if you're into this kind of thing. One word of advice though is that you should not ignore the long-term picture. Things you enjoy doing when you're 25 are not necessarily the same things you want to be doing when you're 50. You should either have some valuable specialization that let's you move beyond dumb coding, or do what most people do, work on your social skills, eventually get into management.

I am a programmer. It is actually my second career. I thought I wanted to be a cinematographer. But I programmed as a hobby since I was young. It's a good clue what you like doing if you do it for fun.

It is very lucrative, especially if you consider the amount of work required (a lawyer or doctor may take years to get to where they want to be, and they may have to work a 60-70 hour week). There is always work in the field (if you keep your skills up-to-date).

It's a good field to be in in a recession.

DaveC426913 said:
It is very lucrative, especially if you consider the amount of work required (a lawyer or doctor may take years to get to where they want to be, and they may have to work a 60-70 hour week). There is always work in the field (if you keep your skills up-to-date).

It's a good field to be in in a recession.

The downside is poor job security. Most programmers change jobs every 3-5 years. I imagine it gets increasingly difficult to find new employment and to keep your skills up to date past 50. And you have to make it to 65 somehow, by hook or by crook, because that's when Medicare kicks in. (Unless you strike it rich early on, so rich that you can afford to retire and buy your own health insurance.) In the U.S., anyway.

Last edited:
hamster143 said:
The downside is poor job security. Most programmers change jobs every 3-5 years.
Heh. It's been so long since I had any security I hadn't even considered it as a factor, up or down. Longest job I held in programming is 4 years. Usually more like a year.

hamster143 said:
I imagine it gets increasingly difficult to find new employment and to keep your skills up to date past 50.
True. I am suffering from ageism, and I'm not 50.

I'm *almost* 50, and have been a programmer for years. While I have to admit that I'm sick of it and am desperately looking for a way out, I also have to say that I've personally never been in as much demand as I have been in the last year or two.

As for job security... my experience has been that there is *always* another job. Companies come and go all the time, but I've never really felt any job insecurity in the sense that I always knew that there were other opportunities out there.

As a disclaimer, I live in Silicon Valley, which is sort of a strange place in general, and probably colors my view of the entire computer industry.

Last edited:
hamster143 said:
The downside is poor job security. Most programmers change jobs every 3-5 years.

On the other hand, who doesn't nowadays? The last set of layoffs I've been through were once in which large numbers of people both technical and non-technical got the ax.

I imagine it gets increasingly difficult to find new employment and to keep your skills up to date past 50.

Keeping skills fresh isn't that hard. Once you've learned ten different programming languages, then one more isn't a big deal. Also, I'm find that as time passes, the number of opportunities just keeps growing. As you move along, you meet different people and come up with different skills.

But again, computer programming is no different here than any other industry that I can think of.

And you have to make it to 65 somehow, by hook or by crook, because that's when Medicare kicks in.

At 59 1/2, you can start pulling money out of 401(k)'s.

On the other hand, who doesn't nowadays? The last set of layoffs I've been through were once in which large numbers of people both technical and non-technical got the ax.

Physicians and professors have very good job security. School teachers are very rarely laid off. Lawyers are generally quite secure, as far as I know (this recession notwithstanding.)

At 59 1/2, you can start pulling money out of 401(k)'s.

As long as you don't have any pre-existing conditions that make you uninsurable or make your health insurance cost upwards of $1000/month, or make your life miserable in some other way.

Last edited:

1. What skills are required to become a successful computer programmer?

To become a successful computer programmer, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics and logical thinking. You will also need to be fluent in at least one programming language, have problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team.

2. Is computer programming a good career for someone who is not good at math?

While a strong foundation in math is beneficial, it is not a requirement to become a successful computer programmer. Many programming languages use math concepts, but they can be learned and applied easily with practice. As long as you have a passion for coding and are willing to learn, you can excel in this career.

3. How much do computer programmers typically earn?

The average salary for a computer programmer varies depending on location, experience, and industry. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for computer programmers in the United States was $86,550 in May 2019.

4. What are the job prospects for computer programmers?

The job outlook for computer programmers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 11% from 2019 to 2029, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. As technology continues to advance, the demand for skilled programmers will also increase.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a career in computer programming?

There are many benefits to choosing a career in computer programming. Some of these include high earning potential, job stability, opportunities for remote work, and the ability to work in a variety of industries. Additionally, as a programmer, you have the chance to continuously learn and improve your skills, making it a fulfilling and intellectually stimulating career choice.