Exploring the Works of Herman Melville: A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed Herman Melville's short story "Bartleby, the Scrivener" and his other works, particularly Moby-Dick. Some participants expressed enjoyment of Melville's writing style, while others recommended his other works. The conversation also touched on the true story that inspired Moby-Dick, which involved cannibalism and irony. Some participants shared their thoughts on Melville's prose and recommended other works by the author. Overall, there was a general appreciation for Melville's writing and storytelling abilities.
Dembadon
Gold Member
I have just finished an assignment for which Herman Melville's short story "Bartleby, the Scrivener" was the story we had to explicate. I really enjoyed this story and I would recommend it to anyone, whether or not you're a Melville fan.

I find his writing style to be highly entertaining. I have not read any of his other works, Moby-Dick probably being the most well-known, but if they are anything like "Bartleby, the Scrivener," I'm sure that I'll enjoy them.

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Melville" page for Melville suggested that Melville did not live up to his potential as a writer, yet Moby-Dick is widely regarded as one of the greatest novels in the English language.

Are there any fans of Mr. Melville on PF? What do you like/dislike about his prose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bartleby the Scrivener was a good one. I enjoyed Moby Dick too, even more so after I found out that Melville based it on the true story of Mocha Dick. Mocha Dick was a white sperm whale that attacked ships around his territory (the Mocha Islands) and intentionally rammed and sank the whaler Essex after whale boats from the Essex attacked his pod. Many of the crew didn't make it back - lost to starvation, dehydration and cannibalism as they tried to make it to South America in their small whale-boats. Ironically, they were afraid to head for the Marquesas (nearby islands) because they were scared of cannibals.

turbo-1 said:
Bartleby the Scrivener was a good one. I enjoyed Moby Dick too, even more so after I found out that Melville based it on the true story of Mocha Dick. Mocha Dick was a white sperm whale that attacked ships around his territory (the Mocha Islands) and intentionally rammed and sank the whaler Essex after whale boats from the Essex attacked his pod. Many of the crew didn't make it back - lost to starvation, dehydration and cannibalism as they tried to make it to South America in their small whale-boats. Ironically, they were afraid to head for the Marquesas (nearby islands) because they were scared of cannibals.

I'll have to make some time to read it. The cannibal situation makes me laugh. What would classic literature be without heaps of irony? I think I'll enjoy it. :biggrin:

Bartleby is a fantastic story, but I have yet to read anything more by Melville. For a literature major, that's pretty bad!

Dembadon said:
I'll have to make some time to read it. The cannibal situation makes me laugh. What would classic literature be without heaps of irony? I think I'll enjoy it. :biggrin:
The cannibalism angle was in the TRUE story of the Essex. That's not a real factor in Moby Dick. Melville found out about the Essex details by shipping out with a nephew (IIR) of the Essex's first mate. Drawing from this, he came up with a character who was a whaling-captain who was driven, personally enraged (by a whale), and bent on revenge.

BTW, the whaling-ships sailing out of Massachusetts seemed to have a lot of Quakers as owners. Whaling required large up-front investments in ships, gear, supplies, provisions, crews, and might only pay back after your ship came back well-loaded after a cruise of a couple of years or more. That's a pretty scary business model.

Dembadon said:
... Moby-Dick is widely regarded as one of the greatest novels in the English language.

Are there any fans of Mr. Melville on PF? What do you like/dislike about his prose?
Well I only read Moby Dick in high school, and what irritates me about literature is that it sometimes takes a 1000 pages to get across a point so simple it could be done in a sonnet.

I love Melville. I think I've read everything he wrote. If you liked Moby Dick, I recommend White Jacket, his other sea voyage book, and also Typee, the story of his adoption by unspoiled South Sea Islanders on one of the Marquesas Islands. Both these books are believed to be essentially autobiographical accounts. They're not as dramatic as Moby Dick, but great reads anyway.

1. What type of literature did Herman Melville write?

Herman Melville is best known for his works in the genre of American literature, particularly his novels and short stories. He is most famous for his epic novel, Moby-Dick, but also wrote other popular works such as Typee, Omolon, and Billy Budd.

2. What influence did Herman Melville have on American literature?

Herman Melville's work had a significant impact on American literature, particularly in the genres of adventure and sea tales. He is often credited as one of the pioneers of American literature, and his writing style and themes have influenced many other authors.

3. What led to Herman Melville's success as a writer?

Herman Melville's success as a writer can be attributed to his unique writing style and his ability to capture the human experience. He also drew inspiration from his own experiences, particularly his time spent at sea, which added a level of authenticity to his works.

4. What is the most famous work of Herman Melville?

The most famous work of Herman Melville is Moby-Dick, also known as The Whale. This epic novel tells the story of a captain's obsessive quest to hunt down a legendary white whale, and is considered a masterpiece of American literature.

5. How is Herman Melville remembered today?

Today, Herman Melville is remembered as one of the greatest American writers of all time. His works continue to be studied and admired for their literary merit and their commentary on the human condition. He is also remembered for his contributions to American literature and his influence on future generations of writers.