Are Degenerate Energy Levels the Same as Ground States in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of degeneracy in energy levels and how it relates to quantum states. The participants also touch on the effects of fine structure and hyperfine structure on degeneracy. Some confusion is expressed, but overall a better understanding is achieved.
Denver Dang
Hi...

I'm having a little trouble understanding this concept.

An energy level is a level where fx. electrons can be in. Ground state, 1st excited state etc., right ? So if I'm not mistaken, a degenerate state is when two or more different quantum states (Fx. electrons) are in the same energy level ?

Does this mean, for hydrogen at least, that the ground state is not degenerate, since there is only "room" for one electron/state in that level ? And then for the other levels, according to the orbitals of the atom, there are "room" for more states in that perticular energy level ?

I just think I'm a bit confused about this. Not even sure I've asked the right question :)

But I hope for some clarity of some sort :)

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little lost on what "fx" is, but it sounds like you're on the right track. You wouldn't say that the "ground state of hydrogen is degenerate," but you would say that the two n=1 spin states are degenerate (i.e. spin up and spin down), because they have the same energy. Similarly (for n=2, l=1) you could say the three different p orbitals are degenerate (again, because they have the same energy).

Hmmm...

So it's when you have different states, due to different quantum numbers, in the same energy level, you have degeneracy ? So for n,l,m = "Large numbers" you would have a large "multi"-fold degeneracy ?

But what happens when you take fine structure, and hyperfine structuere into account ?
Then you get some small changes, splittings, in energy levels all of a sudden. Does this mean that the n=1 state, for example, is not degenerate anymore, because the small difference in energy levels ? Or have I misunderstood something ? :)

Regards

Denver Dang said:
So it's when you have different states, due to different quantum numbers, in the same energy level, you have degeneracy ? So for n,l,m = "Large numbers" you would have a large "multi"-fold degeneracy ?
It depends on the particular system; but in general: yes, absolutely.

Denver Dang said:
But what happens when you take fine structure, and hyperfine structuere into account ?
Then you get some small changes, splittings, in energy levels all of a sudden. Does this mean that the n=1 state, for example, is not degenerate anymore, because the small difference in energy levels ? Or have I misunderstood something ? :)
It sounds like you've understood it exactly; that's a good question. I think that really just comes down to what you're referring to exactly---People would still often say they're degenerate if they're only referring to the general energy level; at the same time its completely true that the "degeneracy is broken" due to (hyper)fine splitting. So in cases like that its really just a question of reference point/context/etc. Its very possible that saying those energy levels are still degenerate is 'technically' incorrect.

Ok... Thank you very much :)

1. What are degenerate energy levels?

Degenerate energy levels refer to the energy states of a system that have the same energy value. This phenomenon occurs when there are multiple possible configurations of a system that result in the same energy level.

2. Why do degenerate energy levels occur?

Degenerate energy levels occur due to the quantum nature of particles. According to the Pauli exclusion principle, no two particles can occupy the same quantum state. Therefore, when there are multiple particles in a system with the same energy, they must have different quantum states, resulting in degeneracy.

3. How are degenerate energy levels observed in real-life systems?

Degenerate energy levels can be observed in various physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. For example, in an atom, the energy levels of electrons in the same orbital are degenerate.

4. Can degenerate energy levels be lifted?

Yes, degeneracy can be lifted through external influences such as electric or magnetic fields. This is known as level splitting, where the degenerate energy levels are separated into distinct energy values.

5. What is the significance of degenerate energy levels in physics?

Degenerate energy levels play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and spectroscopy, where precise measurements of energy levels are necessary.