Angular Momentum of a sliding disc about a point on the floor

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular momentum for a sliding disk about a point on the floor. The result given in lecture states that the distance to the point on the floor is unrelated to the angular momentum. However, the confusion arises at the last equal sign, where it is believed that it should read as a sum of each particle's mass, radius, and velocity multiplied by the sine of the angle between the radius vector and the constant velocity vector. After some discussion, it is clarified that the radius used in the calculation is the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of motion of the center of mass, and that this may vary in different scenarios.
naes213
Hi everybody,

A seemingly straightforward example from lecture is causing me some confusion. The example was about calculating the angular momentum of a sliding disk (not rolling) about a point on the floor. The result given in lecture says the distance to the point on the floor is unrelated to the angular momentum:
[tex]\vec{L}=\vec{r} \times \vec{p}=\sum{\vec{r}_i \times \vec{p}_i}=\sum{\vec{r}_i \times m_i\vec{v}_i}=MRv [/tex]

where M is the total mass of the disc, R is the radius of the disc, and v is the translational velocity of the sliding disc. Now my confusion comes in at the last equal sign. I think it should read:
[tex]\sum{\vec{r}_i \times m_i \vec{v}_i}=\sum{m_i r_i v_i \sin{\theta_i}}[/tex]

where [itex]\theta_i[/itex] is the angle between each particles radius vector and the constant velocity vector. I don't see how this sum ends up as [itex]MRv[/itex] as was claimed in lecture.

I tried to write [itex] \theta_i [/itex] as a function of each ri and integrate over the disc, but didn't make progress. I know I can take the mi and vi out of the sum because they are the same for each i, but I still can't deal with the

[tex]\sum{r_i\sin{\theta_i}}[/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Maybe I'm just missing something really obvious, I don't know.

Thanks,
Sean

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sean! :smile:
naes213 said:
[tex]\vec{L}=\vec{r} \times \vec{p}=\sum{\vec{r}_i \times \vec{p}_i}=\sum{\vec{r}_i \times m_i\vec{v}_i}=MRv [/tex]

where M is the total mass of the disc, R is the radius of the disc, and v is the translational velocity of the sliding disc.

No, R is the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of motion of the centre of mass.

ri x mi vi

= (∑ miri) x v since vi = a constant, v

and then use ∑ mi(ri - ro) = 0 by definition, where ro is the centre of mass :wink:

Ok, I see. That makes sense. In my situation it just so happens that the perpendicular distance is equal to the radius of the disc. In a more general scenario this would be different. Thank you!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around a fixed point. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, while angular velocity is the rate at which it rotates around a fixed point.

3. How does a sliding disc have angular momentum?

Even though a sliding disc may not be rotating around its own axis, it can still have angular momentum if it is sliding around a fixed point on the floor. This is because the disc's moment of inertia and angular velocity are non-zero, resulting in a non-zero angular momentum.

4. Can angular momentum change?

Yes, angular momentum can change. This can occur through the application of an external torque, which can either increase or decrease an object's angular velocity and therefore its angular momentum. Additionally, changes in an object's shape or mass distribution can also affect its moment of inertia and angular momentum.

5. How is angular momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that in a closed system, the total initial angular momentum will always equal the total final angular momentum, regardless of any internal changes or interactions within the system.