Find Out How to Analyze V_n Series

• Thread starter elementbrdr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses a series of the form V_{n} = (V_{n-1}+a)/b and whether it is convergent. It is determined that the series will converge if |b| > 1 or A = 0 and its limit will be (a/(b-1)). However, if b = 1, it will not converge unless a = 0. The conversation then moves on to discussing the problem in a financial context, where the goal is to calculate a payment (V) that is equal to a constant times the return. The return is defined as the final value (R) which includes V, making the definition circular. The conversation concludes by clarifying that the problem falls
elementbrdr
Hi,

I don't know how to analyze the following, but I am wondering whether there is a way to determine whether a series of the following form is convergent: V[itex]_{n}[/itex]=(V[itex]_{n-1}[/itex]+a)/b. Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
elementbrdr said:
I don't know how to analyze the following, but I am wondering whether there is a way to determine whether a series of the following form is convergent: V[itex]_{n}[/itex]=(V[itex]_{n-1}[/itex]+a)/b.

A series can only be convergent (in the usual sense) if the limit of its terms is zero. If a is non-zero, what effect does that have on the limit of the terms in the series?

Likes 1 person
elementbrdr said:
Hi,

I don't know how to analyze the following, but I am wondering whether there is a way to determine whether a series of the following form is convergent: V[itex]_{n}[/itex]=(V[itex]_{n-1}[/itex]+a)/b. Thank you.

This is a linear recurrence relation:

[tex]V_n - \frac{V_{n-1}}{b} = \frac{a}{b}[/tex]

For [itex]b \neq 1[/itex] the solution is [tex]V_n = \frac{A}{b^n} + \frac{a}{b-1}[/tex] for an arbitrary constant [itex]A[/itex]. Thus it will converge if and only if [itex]|b| > 1[/itex] or [itex]A = 0[/itex] and its limit will be [itex]\frac{a}{b-1}[/itex].

If [itex]b = 1[/itex] then the solution is [tex]V_n = A + na[/tex] for an arbitrary constant [itex]A[/itex], and it does not converge unless [itex]a = 0[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Thank you. I see your points. Maybe, in framing this as a limit of a series, I am thinking about the underlying problem incorrectly. So I will expand on the problem I am trying to solve. In a financial context, I am trying to calculate a return that is inclusive of a return-based payment. More specifically, I am trying to calculate a payment (V), which payment is equal to a constant times return, i.e., b*(R/C -1), where R equals final value and C equals initial value. However, final value (R) is defined to include V, such that R= V+a. So the definition is circular. Intuitively, I thought of this as a limit of a series, building inward, where in the first step, the expression would be V = b*(R/C-1) = b*((V+a)/C-1); and in the second step, the expression would be V = b*(((b*(R/C-1))+a)/C-1) = b*(((b*((V+a)/C-1))+a)/C-1). So on and so forth. I would appreciate any guidance as to how to approach this problem. Thanks in advance.

Are you asking about a series (infinite sum) or sequence?

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
Are you asking about a series (infinite sum) or sequence?

I think that what I am trying to do falls within the category of a sequence, rather than a series. I am interested in what the value of the expression would be after an infinite number of iterations of the "steps" illustrated above (and not in the sum of the expressions produced by each step). Sorry to have started off the thread with a misconception.

Viewing my question in terms of a sequence rather than a series, is there a way to state the calculation I described as a simple expression? I would be happy to try to clarify further if my question is still muddled. Thank you.

1. What is a V_n series?

A V_n series is a type of mathematical series that is used to represent a sequence of values. It is commonly used in calculus and can be written in the form of V_n = a_n + b_n + c_n + ..., where a_n, b_n, c_n, etc. are sequences of numbers.

2. Why is it important to analyze V_n series?

Analyzing V_n series allows us to understand the behavior and properties of a sequence of values. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where these series are commonly used to model real-world phenomena.

3. What are some common methods for analyzing V_n series?

There are several methods for analyzing V_n series, including the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These methods help determine the convergence or divergence of a series and can also provide information about the rate of convergence.

4. How do we apply V_n series in practical situations?

V_n series are often used to approximate values in real-world problems. For example, they can be used to calculate the value of a function at a specific point or to estimate the area under a curve. They are also used in numerical methods for solving differential equations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when analyzing V_n series?

One common mistake is assuming that a series is convergent without properly testing for convergence. It is important to use convergence tests and to understand the conditions for convergence. Another mistake is using the wrong test for a particular series, so it is important to carefully consider which test to use based on the properties of the series.