Register to reply

Bragg peaks and bases

by Ichimaru
Tags: bases, bragg, peaks
Share this thread:
Ichimaru
Apr16-14, 04:02 AM
P: 9
Question statement: We are given that Ca and CaF2 are both Ca face-centred cubic lattices, and that in the case of CaF2 there is a basis of F ions at +/-(1/4, 1/4, 1/4). Then explain qualitatively how the ratio of the (2 0 0) and (4 0 0) Bragg peak intensities in the X-ray diffraction patterns of Ca and CaF2 would differ.

Attempt at Solution: The main difference I can think of is that the planes defined by (4 0 0) would go through the F ions as well as Ca ions in the CaF2 lattice whereas the (2 0 0) planes would not intersect any F ions. In contrast the (4 0 0) planes and (2 0 0) planes in Ca would intersect the same atoms, and there would be empty planes in the (4 0 0) case.

However when I try to compute the ratios I get that they are the same, as the extra structure factor in the case of CaF2 just cancels itself out when comparing the (4 0 0) and (2 0 0) structure factors.

Any input would be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
nasu
Apr16-14, 11:54 PM
P: 1,969
Are you sure you put all the terms in the structure factor formula? How many fluorine atoms have you considered in the conventional cell?

Register to reply