Can a Debye Layer Form in Air?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a Debye layer in air and concludes that it is unlikely due to the absence of free charges in a neutral gas like air. The possibility of a Debye layer in pure water is also mentioned, as it involves polarized water molecules surrounding a charged particle. It is noted that air is not an electrolyte, further supporting the unlikelihood of a Debye layer in air.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just a question:

I do know it is possible to have a debye layer in a electrolyte. But is it posible to have a Debye layer in air?. I mean, if I put a single charged particle in air, do I have a layer of ionized air surrounding it??.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are talking about debye screening, right? If my memory serves me, the debye screening model assumes the presence of "free" charges in the system - that is an initial condition of the sytem, if I may call it that.

In a neutral gas like air, you have no free charge. What you do have, however, are polarizable molecules (though O2 and N2 have pretty low polarizabilities). This gives rise to dipolar (or dielectric) screening which, unlike debye screening doesn't not really change the functional form of the potential very much (ie: a 1/r potential remains roughly a 1/r potential) . Nevertheless, the charge-dipole interaction is likely to be too weak (compared to KE) at most temperatures to create anything like a debye layer.

Also, I can't imagine there is enough of a field gradient from an isolated charge to ionize nearby molecules.

However, if you put a charged particle in pure water, you would have a layer of polarized (not ionized) water molecules surrounding it (and resulting in debye-like screening of the charge potential). This is essentially what hydration/dissolution involves.

Last edited:
Thanks gokul, I got it. Air is not an electrolyte at all.

1. Can a Debye Layer form in air?

Yes, a Debye Layer can form in air under certain conditions. This phenomenon, also known as an electrical double layer, occurs when charged particles in a gas or liquid are attracted to a nearby surface, creating a layer of charge.

2. What is a Debye Layer?

A Debye Layer is a region of charge that forms at the interface between a polar substance (such as air) and a non-polar substance (such as a solid surface). It is named after the Dutch physicist Peter Debye, who first described this phenomenon in the early 20th century.

3. How does a Debye Layer form in air?

A Debye Layer forms in air when charged particles, such as ions or electrons, are present in the surrounding gas. These particles are attracted to the surface of a nearby object, creating a layer of charge. This layer can extend several nanometers from the surface.

4. What are the applications of a Debye Layer in air?

The Debye Layer plays an important role in various scientific and industrial applications. For example, it is crucial in electrochemistry, where it affects the behavior and reactivity of charged particles at the surface of an electrode. It is also relevant in atmospheric chemistry, where it influences the behavior of charged particles in the Earth's atmosphere.

5. Can a Debye Layer in air be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the formation and properties of a Debye Layer in air can be controlled and manipulated through various means such as changing the temperature, pressure, or electric field in the surrounding environment. This can have significant implications in fields such as electrochemistry, atmospheric science, and materials science.