Recognition of foreign degrees in U.S. grad schools?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of going abroad for a Master's degree and then pursuing a Ph.D. in a U.S. grad school. The person is concerned about whether U.S. schools view a Master's degree as a weaker option for those who are not strong enough for a Ph.D. They also ask for recommendations on countries with good reputations and high-quality faculty and research funding. The countries mentioned for consideration are Australia, France, Spain, Latin America, Quebec, UK, and Switzerland. The person's field of study is Physics, specifically in condensed matter or superconductivity.
vincebs
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of going abroad to get a masters (or an equivalent) and then try to get into a U.S. grad school for my Ph.D.

I was wondering whether this is a good idea in itself, i.e. perhaps many U.S. schools think that M.Sc. is for people who aren't strong enough for Ph.D., is that true?

If it is a good idea, then which countries have good reputations and have degrees that are trusted. I don't want to have to prove that my Masters is just as good as a U.S. Masters. And I'd like to go to places that are known to have high-quality faculty and research money.

I'm thinking of these countries:
- Australia
- France
- Spain
- Latin America
- Quebec (French-speaking universities)
- UK
- Switzerland

Which ones would be wise to choose and which ones should I avoid?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What field will you be studying?

Physics, I'm looking into condensed matter or superconductivity

1. What is the process for recognizing a foreign degree in U.S. grad schools?

The process for recognizing a foreign degree in U.S. grad schools varies depending on the school and the specific degree program. Generally, the first step is to research the requirements and guidelines of the specific school and program you are interested in. Some schools may require official transcripts and evaluations from a credential evaluation service, while others may have their own evaluation process. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by the school to ensure your foreign degree is recognized.

2. Are all foreign degrees recognized in U.S. grad schools?

No, not all foreign degrees are recognized in U.S. grad schools. Each school has its own criteria for recognizing foreign degrees, and some may only recognize degrees from accredited institutions. It is important to research the specific requirements of the school you are interested in to determine if your degree will be recognized.

3. How long does the process of recognizing a foreign degree take?

The process of recognizing a foreign degree can vary in length, depending on the school and the complexity of your degree. On average, it can take a few weeks to a few months to complete the evaluation process and receive a decision from the school. It is important to start the process early to allow for any potential delays.

4. Will I need to take additional coursework or exams to have my foreign degree recognized?

It is possible that you may be required to take additional coursework or exams to have your foreign degree recognized in a U.S. grad school. This will depend on the specific school and program, as well as the evaluation of your degree. Make sure to carefully review the requirements and guidelines provided by the school to determine if this is necessary.

5. Can I appeal a decision to not recognize my foreign degree?

Yes, you can appeal a decision to not recognize your foreign degree in a U.S. grad school. However, the process for appealing may vary from school to school. It is important to carefully review the appeals process and guidelines provided by the school, and to provide any necessary supporting documentation or evidence to support your case.