Havn't taken calc 3 in about a year now having to take vector calc, any adivce?

In summary: It is a great book to have on hand, and is also helpful for self-study.In summary, the person is having trouble remembering what the first half of calc 3 taught him, but he thinks he will be able to catch on quickly. He recommends that the person brush up on some basic vector calc from before and learn partial derivatives and divergence.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. Awhile ago I took honors calc 3, but only the 2 credit course, not the 4 becuase computer engineering didn't require the 4 credits. But now that I switched to computer science I have to take the 2nd half of calc 3 but I don't remember hardly anything.

This is the description of the course:
MATH 232 INTEGRAL VECTOR CALCULUS ( 2) Multidimensional analytic geometry, double and triple integrals; potential fields; flux; Green's, divergence and Stokes' theorems.

Any recommendations on what I should brush up on before getting into this course? Classes don't start until the 16 th so I have some time I can review.

I don't even remember what the first half of calc 3 even taught me, like the saying goes, if you don't use it, you loose it. I thought it was a lot of drawing of different shapes and taking derivatives of more than 1 variable which I also forgot how to do but I'll be able to catch on quickly I'm sure. Eh this is going to be fun. I do remeber getting an A in calc 3 first half though :blushing:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lets see, Calc 3. At my university that normally is series/sequences, non-cartesian coordinate systems, and basic vector calc. So my best guess for the second half would be make sure you go over any vector calc from before and partial derivatives.

But I don't know your course's sylibus, so this is just my best guess.

Knowing some basic derivatives/integrals and vector operations (dot/cross product, are there others?) would probably be enough to get you going.

edit.. Probably partial derivatives too, and maybe divergence, curl, and gradients (I am guessing you covered that in your first part of calc 3?).

The person who would know best would be the professor that is teaching your class next semester, just send him/her an e-mail.

Last edited:
thanks for the responces guys,

good idea matt, i forgot all about e-mail, i'll do that

Buy a copy of :

"div grad curl and all that, an informal text on vector calculus" by h. m. schey. It is a wonderful book on vector calculus and an "easy" read (at least for the math inclined).

1. What are the main differences between Calculus 3 and Vector Calculus?

Calculus 3 and Vector Calculus have similar topics such as multivariable calculus and differential equations. However, the main difference is that Vector Calculus also includes vector operations, such as dot and cross products, and the study of vector fields.

2. How should I prepare for Vector Calculus if I haven't taken Calculus 3 in a year?

It is helpful to review topics from Calculus 3 such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and polar coordinates. You may also want to brush up on your algebra skills, as they are important in vector operations. Additionally, you can find online resources and practice problems to help you prepare.

3. Will not taking Calculus 3 in a year put me at a disadvantage in Vector Calculus?

While it may take some time to refresh your memory on certain topics, not taking Calculus 3 in a year should not put you at a significant disadvantage in Vector Calculus. As long as you are willing to put in the effort to review and practice, you should be able to succeed in the course.

4. What is the best way to approach Vector Calculus?

It is important to attend all lectures and take thorough notes. Vector Calculus is a very visual subject, so it can also be helpful to create diagrams and sketches to aid in your understanding. Additionally, practicing problems regularly and seeking help from your instructor or classmates when needed can greatly improve your understanding of the material.

5. How is Vector Calculus applicable in real life?

Vector Calculus has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to model and study physical phenomena, such as fluid flow and electric fields. It also plays a role in computer graphics and animation, as it is used to manipulate and transform objects in 3D space.