I have a problem and a solution here please let me know

• Thread starter shegiggles
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is discussing the integrability of 1/f given that f is integrable and bounded below by a positive value t. The claim is that 1/f is also integrable. The solution involves using the fact that f is bounded above and below to show that 1/f is also bounded above and below. Additionally, from the fact that f is greater than t and t is greater than 0 for all x, it can be concluded that 1/f is continuous. The conversation also addresses the possibility of f not being bounded and suggests splitting the integral into two parts to handle this case. Bdd is short for bounded.
shegiggles
I have a problem here and a solution. Not sure if I am on the right track. Please let me know if this proof is right.

we are given:f :[a,b]-R, f is integrable and bdd below(f is greater
than t(i use t instead of delta) for all x belongs to [a,b] ), t is
greater than 0
claim: 1/f is integrable.
solution: f is integrable implies f is bdd - f is bdd above and below
implies 1/f is bdd below and above - 1/f is bdd-{1}
f is greater than t and t is greater than 0 for all x
- f is greater than 0 for all x. - 1/f can not be infinity for all x-
1/f is continuous.{2}
from {1} & {2} 1/f is a bdd continuous function .
hence 1/f is integrable.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you conclude that 1/f is continuous when you don't even know that f is?

f might not be bounded. I would consider the integral in two parts: One where f<2t and the other where f>= 2t (say). That is one integral where f is big and one where f is not so big.

As far as how to split up the interval that way would depend on the kind of integral you are doing. Lebesgue - no problem: If you are only dealing with Riemann - may have to turn to (piecewise) continuity to separate the interval accordingly.

f(x) identically equal to 0 satisfies all the conditions you give but 1/f certainly is not bounded!

Halls, one of the conditions was f(x)>t>0 for all x in [a,b].

what is bdd?

murshid islam: bdd= bounded.

matt grime- I really do need to learn to read, don't I!

1. What is the problem you are trying to solve?

The problem is the main issue or challenge that needs to be addressed. It can be a difficulty, obstacle, or concern that is causing distress or hindrance.

2. What is your proposed solution?

The solution is the proposed method or approach to address the problem. It is the idea or plan to resolve the issue and achieve a desired outcome.

3. How do you know that your solution will work?

The proposed solution is based on research, experimentation, and/or expert knowledge in the field. It has been carefully evaluated and tested to ensure its effectiveness.

4. Can you provide evidence or examples of your solution being successful?

Yes, evidence and examples can be provided to support the effectiveness of the proposed solution. This can include data, case studies, testimonials, or other forms of evidence.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to your solution?

As with any solution, there may be drawbacks or limitations. These can include cost, feasibility, or unintended consequences. It is important to thoroughly consider and address these potential issues.