Mysterious Compound: Help Needed

• Thread starter runmitch16
  • Start date
In summary, The person has a compound in front of them that they need help identifying. It is small black beads that are shiny and malleable. They were advised to try scraping it with a knife to see if it is carbon. It turns out it is carbon and could potentially be used as a pencil. However, it is mentioned that it could also be lead or bismuth shot from a shotgun shell with different magnetic properties. It is suggested to look at a variety of metals for identification.
runmitch16
hey this is my first post and i have some sort of compound sitting in front of me that my teacher has asked me to figure out and i just need some help it looks like small black beads and are pretty shiny please answer back

Chemistry news on Phys.org
if it's black then it's carbon
can you provide any more specifics?

well i just was messing around with it and its very malleable

try to see if you can scrape some peices off of it with a knife. If its like dust then its probly carbon.

Last edited:
haha wow i never even thought of that lol yea they are just like little carbon beads thanks a lot guys it writes like a pencil

What about lead shot from a shotgun shell?

1. What is the "Mysterious Compound" and why is help needed?

The "Mysterious Compound" is a substance that has been discovered and studied by scientists, but its exact nature and properties are still unknown. Help is needed to further research and understand this compound.

2. Where was the "Mysterious Compound" found?

The "Mysterious Compound" was found in a remote location, away from human habitation, by a team of explorers.

3. How was the "Mysterious Compound" discovered?

The "Mysterious Compound" was discovered by accident while conducting a routine research expedition in the area.

4. Is the "Mysterious Compound" dangerous?

At this point, it is uncertain if the "Mysterious Compound" is dangerous or not. Further research and testing is needed to determine its potential hazards.

5. What do we already know about the "Mysterious Compound"?

Scientists have observed that the "Mysterious Compound" has a unique molecular structure and is highly resistant to decomposition. It also exhibits unusual chemical and physical properties that have yet to be fully understood.