What are the eastern components of the Earth's magnetic field in this city?

• Thread starter Magna1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the Earth's magnetic field in this city points towards the north pole and downwards into the ground. The horizontal portion of the Earth's magnetic field is 12.5^10*-6 T and its angle of declination is 22.5 degrees. The eastern components of the Earth's magnetiv field in this city are zero in the x-direction.
Magna1
The Earth's magnetic field in this city points towards the north pole and downwards into the ground. The horizontal portion of the Earth's magnetic field is 12.5^10*-6 T and its angle of declination is 22.5 degrees(the angle east of north) What are the eastern components of the Earth's magnetiv field in this city?
I have no idea what to do or where to even start guessing?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want to know the vertical component or what? If that is true, you could just use the cosinus or sinus of the angle (22 degrees).

Originally posted by Magna1
The Earth's magnetic field in this city points towards the north pole and downwards into the ground.
This basically suggests a 3-D coordinate system with y-axis horizontal towards the N-pole, z-axis straight up into the sky, and then the x-axis perpendicular to both of these. All three axes are then mutually perpendicular. Hint #1: Can you imagine in what direction is the x-axis?

In this coordinate system, the magnetic field vector is then:

B = ( Bx , By , Bz )
= ( 0 , Bnorth , -Bupward )

So, the x-component of the magnetic field is zero. In other words, the magnetic field in the x-direction is zero.

EDIT:
I misread the question. I need to change some things in my reply.

Originally posted by Magna1
... its angle of declination is 22.5 degrees(the angle east of north) ...
This seems to contradict the first sentence. I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps the "downward" should be interpreted as if you're in space and looking at the Earth from the orientation that the axis of rotation is verticle and the north pole is on top. I find this a terrible way to word the question, and you have my sympathy. Anyway, this would make the coordinate system 2-D instead of 3-D.

B = ( Bx , By )
= ( B sin(22.5o) , B cos(22.5o) )

Again, you should decide what you think is the x-direction.

I'm terrible sorry if I have confused you.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a force that causes certain materials, such as iron, to attract or repel each other. It is caused by the movement of electrons within atoms.

2. Who was Nikola Tesla and what is his connection to magnetism?

Nikola Tesla was a Serbian-American inventor and scientist who made significant contributions to the development of electricity and magnetism. He is best known for his work with alternating current, which has become the standard for electricity distribution. Tesla also invented the Tesla coil, which is a type of transformer used to produce high-voltage, low-current electricity.

3. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field around them. This magnetic field is produced by the movement of electrons within the magnet. When two magnets are brought near each other, their magnetic fields interact and cause either attraction or repulsion.

4. How are magnets used in everyday life?

Magnets have many practical applications in everyday life. They are used in generators and electric motors, speakers, hard drives, credit cards, and MRI machines. Magnets are also used in various household items, such as refrigerator doors, magnetic knife holders, and magnetic toys.

5. Can magnets be harmful to humans?

In general, the magnetic fields produced by everyday magnets are not harmful to humans. However, strong magnetic fields, such as those used in MRI machines, can have adverse effects on people with certain medical devices, such as pacemakers. Additionally, strong magnets should be handled with caution to avoid injury from pinching or crushing.