Chemistry Equilibrium: Picking B & Not Sure for C

In summary, the reaction 2SO2 + O2 <---> 2SO3 can shift either to the left or right depending on the addition or removal of SO2 or SO3 from the reaction vessel. Adding more SO2 will shift the reaction to the right, while removing SO3 will also shift it to the right. On the other hand, decreasing the size of the reaction vessel can either result in no change or a shift to the left, depending on the initial concentrations of the reactants. Finally, injecting He into the reaction vessel can also lead to either no change or a shift to the right, depending on the pressure changes and how it affects equilibrium.
briman
consider the reaction
2SO2 + O2 <---> 2SO3

A SHIFTS TO THE LEFT
B SHIFTS TO THE RIGHT
C NO CHANGE

ADDITIONAL SO2 IS INJECTED INTO REACTION VESSEL
I PICKED B

SOME SO3 IS REMOVED FROM THE REATION VESSEL
I PICKED B AGAIN

THE SIZE OF THE REACTION VESSEL IS DECREASED
NOT SURE B OR C

SOME He IS INJECTED INTO REATION VESSEL
NOT SURE B OR C

Physics news on Phys.org
The questions you have concern the 3rd and 4th question. Explain why you pick b or c for these questions.

i guess the question is does the pressure increase and does that efect the equlibrium

Putting more material in the same volume or the same amount of material in a smaller volume changes the concentration of the material... and you know how changing the concentration affects equilibrium.

1. What is meant by "chemistry equilibrium"?

Chemistry equilibrium refers to a state in a chemical reaction where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time. This means that the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in a dynamic balance.

2. How is equilibrium reached in a chemical reaction?

Equilibrium is reached when the forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates and the concentrations of the reactants and products no longer change. This can occur spontaneously or through the addition or removal of reactants or products.

3. What does it mean to "pick B" in a chemical equilibrium?

In chemistry, "picking B" refers to choosing a particular concentration or amount of a reactant or product in a chemical reaction. This can affect the position of the equilibrium and the concentrations of other reactants and products.

4. How do I know if I should "pick B" or "not sure" for "C" in a chemical equilibrium?

The decision to "pick B" or "not sure" for "C" will depend on the specific chemical reaction and the desired concentration of the reactants and products. It is important to consider factors such as the initial concentrations, reaction rate, and equilibrium constant when making this decision.

5. Can the position of equilibrium be changed?

Yes, the position of equilibrium can be changed by altering the concentrations of reactants and products, changing the temperature or pressure, or adding a catalyst. These changes can shift the equilibrium towards the reactants or products, resulting in a different equilibrium constant.