Start Coding with PHP: IDE & Tools for *nix Platforms

• PHP
  • Thread starter Ronnin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Php Tools
In summary, the conversation discusses using PHP as a coding language on a Unix platform and seeking recommendations for an IDE and other tools for web development. It is suggested to use a decent text editor and web browser as a makeshift IDE. Some specific suggestions for IDEs include Zend Studio, Eclipse, and CodeLobster PHP Edition. The conversation also briefly mentions the frustration with proprietary languages like C# due to the recent patent issues with Microsoft.
Ronnin
I've never used the language before but I would like to start moving away from Windows as a server platform. PHP from what I can tell, and have read on this board, is a good choice for coding on a *nix platform. Can anyone recommend an IDE and any other tools that might come in handy for web development. This whole patent deal with MS has really turned me off to any language (C# is what I use now) that is proprietary to them.

Technology news on Phys.org
There's Zend Studio, but it's not free. I think Eclipse Org is also in the process of developing a PHP IDE.

Just use a decent editor on Unix. Your text editor and your web browser together comprise your "IDE." :smile:

- Warren

chroot said:
Just use a decent editor on Unix. Your text editor and your web browser together comprise your "IDE." :smile:

- Warren

Your killing me, :tongue2: . You probably like to use Notepad to do your HTML. Debugger be damned aye?

Nope, I'm not a Notepad user -- and wouldn't use a text editor for HTML. HTML is not really a programming language, though.

- Warren

HTML is just a pain. I will let you know how my "hello world" goes.:cool: Wish me luck!

php editor

I think any php editor must has code highlighting, outocomplete to type code fast,
integrated help on php, mysql, html, ability to find declarations for user's functions, classes within the

project, and of course debugger.
Text editor isn't for php development. I use Codelobster php Edition (www.codelobster.com). Handy php editor,

free, with all basic functionalities of php IDE.

There I found also not bad text editor CodeLobster. Who used to type code in text editor could try it too.

Ronnin said:
Your killing me, :tongue2: . You probably like to use Notepad to do your HTML. Debugger be damned aye?

I'm a Notepad HTML writer. Occasionally I've found myself using Crimson Editor, which is as close as I get to an IDE for that sort of thing.

1. What is PHP and why should I learn it?

PHP is a server-side scripting language used for web development. It is widely used due to its versatility, compatibility with various databases, and ability to create dynamic and interactive websites. Learning PHP can open up many job opportunities in the tech industry.

2. What is an IDE and why do I need it for PHP coding?

IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment. It is a software application that provides comprehensive tools and features for coding, debugging, and testing. An IDE is essential for efficient and organized PHP coding, as it offers features like code completion, debugging tools, and project management.

3. What are the recommended IDEs and tools for PHP coding on *nix platforms?

Some popular IDEs for PHP coding on *nix platforms include Eclipse, NetBeans, and PHPStorm. Other useful tools for PHP development on *nix platforms include Xdebug for debugging, Composer for managing dependencies, and Git for version control.

4. Can I use Windows or Mac for PHP coding instead of *nix platforms?

Yes, you can use Windows or Mac for PHP coding. However, *nix platforms (such as Linux or Unix) are recommended for PHP development as they are more stable, secure, and offer better performance. Additionally, many web hosting services use *nix platforms, so coding on *nix can better simulate the environment in which your code will be deployed.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in programming to start coding with PHP?

No, it is not necessary to have a strong background in programming to start coding with PHP. However, some basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, and programming concepts (such as variables, loops, and functions) will be helpful. There are also many online resources and tutorials available for beginners to learn PHP.