Diff Eq Undetermined Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution for y"+2y'+5y=(e^x)sinx, with the attempted solution using the characteristic equation and finding the complementary and particular solutions. The mistake of including 2's in the trig arguments is pointed out and clarified.
Fernandez

Homework Statement

Find the solution for y"+2y'+5y=(e^x)sinx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I think I've gotten the solution from the characteristic equation, but I'm having trouble with the particular solution.

For the characteristic equation solution:
y"+2y'+5y=0
r^2+2r+5=0
Using the quadratic formula r= -1(+/-)2i
So y=(e^-x)((C1)cos(2x)+(C2)sin(2x)

For the particular solution I think I'm assuming correctly that y=A(e^x)sin(2x)+B(e^x)cos(2x), or am I not catching a term that can be combined with the complementary solution? Or am I just using the wrong equation all together?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this line: y=A(e^x)sin(2x)+B(e^x)cos(2x), you shouldn't have the 2's inside the trig arguments. Since the RHS of the problem statement has only a sin(x), your "guess" should only include trig functions with x as the argument. You are getting the 2's from the Homogeneous Solution, but in this problem, the H solution, does not affect your "guess" of the particular solution.

Thanks! I don't know how I overlooked that.

1. What is the method of undetermined coefficients in Differential Equations?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to find a particular solution to a non-homogeneous linear differential equation. It involves assuming a form for the particular solution and solving for the undetermined coefficients through substitution into the original equation.

2. When is the method of undetermined coefficients applicable?

The method of undetermined coefficients is applicable when the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation is a linear combination of exponential, sine, cosine, or polynomial functions. It is not applicable for non-linear terms or when the non-homogeneous term is a combination of different types of functions.

3. How do you determine the form of the particular solution in the method of undetermined coefficients?

The form of the particular solution is determined by the form of the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation. For example, if the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial of degree n, the particular solution will be a polynomial of degree n with undetermined coefficients.

4. What is the role of the complementary solution in the method of undetermined coefficients?

The complementary solution, also known as the homogeneous solution, is the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous differential equation. In the method of undetermined coefficients, it is used to avoid duplication of solutions and to find the particular solution by subtracting it from the non-homogeneous equation.

5. Are there any limitations to the method of undetermined coefficients?

Yes, there are limitations to the method of undetermined coefficients. It only works for linear differential equations and cannot be used for non-linear equations. Additionally, it may not work for all types of non-homogeneous terms, and in some cases, it may produce incorrect solutions.