Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Mechanics

• Thread starter Aidan130791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary: Another reason is that the symmetries let us reduce the size of the problem. In classical mechanics, there are many degrees of freedom. In quantum mechanics, there are only a few. If we have a system in which all the degrees of freedom are coupled (like a particle in a field), then reducing the problem to a few degrees of freedom is much easier than reducing it to many.Ok, that's nice and helpful. But why the significance for quantum physics? One reason is that the symmetries let us reduce the size of the problem. In classical mechanics, there are many degrees of freedom. In quantum mechanics, there are only a few
Aidan130791
Can anybody please explain these theories, and what they do so differently than Newton's mechanics? I can't really get my head round them, and I'm only doing my A-Levels at college, so i haven't been told anything about them properly. I only know what i can learn by reading things, and they are really confusing, I can't find anything that is understandable. Help please? Also, what is their significance in QM and QFT?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Aidan130791 said:
Can anybody please explain these theories, and what they do so differently than Newton's mechanics? I can't really get my head round them, and I'm only doing my A-Levels at college, so i haven't been told anything about them properly. I only know what i can learn by reading things, and they are really confusing, I can't find anything that is understandable. Help please? Also, what is their significance in QM and QFT?

Thanks

The quick and dirty reply: you deal with energies (scalar) and not forces (vectors). Any time you can juggle one less ball, it tends to be easier.

The long and detailed answer can be complicated, especially if you only have A-level knowledge so far. The Hamiltonian/Lagrangian approach is based on the principle of least action. To some people, that is more "fundamental" than dealing with "forces".

The best way for you to catch up on this is to read about this at http://www.eftaylor.com/leastaction.html" , who is one of the figures that have been trying to push this approach even at the elementary level.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lagrange makes things so much easier. You should always avoid using a Newtonian method if you can. Newtons method is pulling teeth compared to Lagrange. Find the energy, take the derivatives, and plop, out comes the equations of motion.

You don't have to worry about internal forces between this body and that body, which way does this force point, what is the cosine or sine of the force direction, etc etc etc. Newtons method is archaic in comparison.

Last edited:
Ok, that's nice and helpful. But why the significance for quantum physics? Also, is there any books that you know of that I would understand, at least partially, with my A-Level knowledge?

Whats an A-level?

The link I gave you should have an article on why this is important to QM. It is not a mere coincidence that the Schrodinger Equation is often called (in some variation) the Hamiltonian.

Zz.

Aidan130791 said:

Thanks

That's a very deep question. It's the kind of question that as the years pass you will keep coming back to again and again and always feel that there is a new layer to uncover. Others have made already good points. Let me add a quick comment.

As already said, the Lagrangian approach (I won't talk about the Hamiltonian approach for now) involved working with scalare quantities (energy) rather than the vector quantities (forces, position, acceleration) of the Newtonian approach. Also, the Lagrangian approach is inherently nonlocal. You work with possible *paths* of a particle and pick up the one that minimizes (or in general extremizes) the action. In Newtonian mechanics, you start at a point, look at the initial velocity and use the forces to find the new position at an infinitesimal time later, and so on. So you always work locally.

The Lagrangian approach is better suited to study wave phenomena and interference (one can look at the different paths the wave can go through and see which path is constructively reinforced) and even for a classical wave it's better to not have to work with forces acting on a wave but rather with its energy. In quantum mechanics, one never works with forces acting on particle or with an actual well-defined trajectory, which is why one cannot use at all the Newtonian approach but one has to rely on the Lagrangian approach (which leads to the path integral formulation fo quantum mechanics).

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Aidan130791 said:
Ok, that's nice and helpful. But why the significance for quantum physics?

When quantizing a system we have to guess its equations of motion. We cut down on the possibilities by assuming those equations obey certain symmetries like Lorentz invariance etc. It's hard to write from scratch an equation with certain symmetries built in. On the other hand it's much easier to write a Langrangian with certain symmetries. Once a Lagrangian is guessed that obeys the assumed symmetries, it automatically generates equations of motion that obey the same symmetries.

Last edited:
Thanks very much. I think I am going to go an buy a book on this, I think the Schaum's outline one looks managable. Any opinions? And A-Levels are what you do at college in the uk between 16-18 years old.

1. What is the difference between Hamiltonian and Lagrangian Mechanics?

Hamiltonian and Lagrangian Mechanics are two different approaches to classical mechanics, which is the study of the motion of objects based on Newton's laws of motion. The main difference between the two is the way they describe the motion of a system. Lagrangian Mechanics uses a single equation called the Lagrangian, while Hamiltonian Mechanics uses two equations: the Hamiltonian and Hamilton's equations of motion. Hamiltonian Mechanics also takes into account the concept of energy conservation, while Lagrangian Mechanics does not.

2. What is a Hamiltonian and how is it used in Mechanics?

A Hamiltonian is a mathematical function that represents the total energy of a system in classical mechanics. It is used to describe the dynamics of a system by providing a set of equations, known as Hamilton's equations of motion, which govern the time evolution of the system. The Hamiltonian is also useful for understanding the conservation of energy in a system, as it represents the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of all the particles in the system.

3. What is the principle of least action in Lagrangian Mechanics?

The principle of least action is a fundamental principle in Lagrangian Mechanics that states that the motion of a system will follow the path that minimizes the action, which is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This principle is based on the idea that a physical system will always take the path of least resistance or least energy to reach a certain state. By finding the path that minimizes the action, we can determine the equations of motion for a system.

4. How does Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Mechanics differ from Newtonian Mechanics?

The main difference between Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Mechanics and Newtonian Mechanics is that the former uses a more general and elegant approach to describe the dynamics of a system. While Newtonian Mechanics is based on the concept of forces acting on objects, Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Mechanics uses the concept of energy to describe the motion of a system. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of a system, as it takes into account the conservation of energy.

5. What are some real-life applications of Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Mechanics?

Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Mechanics has a wide range of real-life applications, including celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. For example, Lagrangian Mechanics is used to study the motion of planets and satellites in our solar system, while Hamiltonian Mechanics is used to model the flow of fluids in engineering applications. In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian operator is used to describe the energy levels of a system, and the Lagrangian approach is used to calculate the probability of different quantum states.