Comparing Acids: H_2 C_2 O_4 & H_3 O^+

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acids
In summary, the conversation discusses how to predict the extent of a reaction and determine the relative strengths of two acids using their chemical formulas and pKa values. It is mentioned that a table of Ka or pKa values can be used, or one can use the definition of pKa to determine the concentrations of H3O+ and C2H2O4. It is also noted that the teacher may have provided other information or overlooked how to apply pKa to the problem.
danago
Gold Member
Using the following reaction for example:

[tex]
H_2 C_2 O_4 _{(aq)} + H_2 O_{(l)} \to HC_2 O_4 ^ - _{(aq)} + H_3 O^ + _{(aq)}
[/tex]

The question asks to predict weather the reaction will occur to a large or small extent. What i would usually do is decide weather the [tex]H_2 C_2 O_4[/tex] or the conjugate acid of water is a stronger acid (via a table or otherwise), and the reaction with the consumption stronger acid will be favoured.

Is there any way i can determine the relative strengths of two acids given just their chemical formula?

Thanks in advance
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up a table of Ka or pKa values.

Not really. You need to look up the pKa of oxalic acid. Use the definition for pKa to determine the relative concentrations (not strengths) of H3O+ and C2H2O4.

Wow, Gokul's fast...

Thanks for the replies :)

For some reason, we completely skipped the chapter on pKa values of acids and bases, and were told that we arent going to need to know them for our exam.

So would that mean its just a matter of knowing it? I either know it or i dont?

danago said:
Thanks for the replies :)

For some reason, we completely skipped the chapter on pKa values of acids and bases, and were told that we arent going to need to know them for our exam.

So would that mean its just a matter of knowing it? I either know it or i dont?

Either your teacher has given you some other information that you can use to determine strength (concentration) or has overlooked how to apply pKa to the problem. Your teacher must have given you a ranking for organic acid strengths.

You are probably expected to apply an inorganic molecular structure concept of acid strength. Otherwise, you have no need to merely predict - only to check Ka tables.

What is the chemical formula for H2C2O4 and H3O+?

H2C2O4 is the chemical formula for oxalic acid, while H3O+ is the chemical formula for hydronium ion.

What is the difference between H2C2O4 and H3O+?

The main difference between the two is their molecular structure. H2C2O4 is a weak organic acid, while H3O+ is a strong inorganic acid.

Which one is more acidic, H2C2O4 or H3O+?

H3O+ is more acidic than H2C2O4. This is because H3O+ has a lower pKa value, indicating a stronger acid.

What is the pH level of H2C2O4 and H3O+?

The pH level of H2C2O4 is around 1.27, while the pH level of H3O+ is around -1.74. This means that H3O+ is a stronger acid and has a lower pH level.

What are the common uses of H2C2O4 and H3O+?

H2C2O4 is commonly used as a rust-removal agent, as well as in various cleaning products. H3O+ is used in various industrial processes and is also found in some household cleaning products.