Can We Hear Bat Cries? Investigating the Frequency Range of Bat Sounds

• Thread starter knockout_artist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the ability to hear bat cries that were downloaded as wave files. It is questioned if the sound should be ultrasonic, to which it is explained that bats use a range of frequencies. The idea of using FFT to see frequencies above the human hearing range is also brought up.
knockout_artist

Homework Statement

I downloaded wave files of bat cry. I played it on computer And I was able to hear it?
Shouldn't that be ultrasonic??

Here is the sample

http://www.sound-effect.com/sounds1/animal/batsounds/bat1.wav

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you think you are able to hear it? What could they have done to the sound to make you able to hear it?

Did some tempered it? re-modulate it on lower frequency so we could hear it?

Bats use a whole range of frequencies.

oh
you mean if use fft on the sound file I will see frequency above haring range??

1. Why do bats cry?

Bats do not actually cry in the sense that humans do. The sound we perceive as a "cry" is actually their echolocation calls.

2. What is echolocation?

Echolocation is a sensory system used by bats (and some other animals) to navigate and find prey in the dark. It involves emitting high-frequency sounds and then listening for the echoes that bounce back off of objects in the environment.

3. Why do bats use echolocation?

Bats use echolocation because they are nocturnal animals and need to navigate and hunt in the dark. Echolocation allows them to locate food, avoid obstacles, and find roosting sites in complete darkness.

4. Can humans hear bat cries?

Yes, humans can hear the sounds of bat echolocation, although some of their calls may be at frequencies that are too high for us to detect. Bats often emit calls at frequencies between 20 and 100 kHz, while the range of human hearing is typically between 20 Hz and 20 kHz.

5. Are bat cries harmful to humans?

No, bat cries are not harmful to humans. In fact, bats are generally not aggressive towards humans and will only use echolocation as a means of communication and navigation. Some bats may emit louder calls if they feel threatened, but they do not pose any danger to humans through their cries.