Information on studying Medical Physics

In summary, if you want to become a medical physicist, you will need to do research into the field. There are many resources available online, and experienced medical physicists can be found on online forums.
njblaha
I am very interested in becoming a medical physicist but I have no idea where to look for information.I have Google and Ask Jeeves but most of the hits have nothing to do with it.

If anybody knows where I can look for information on medical physics I would appreciate you sharing.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
njblaha said:
I am very interested in becoming a medical physicist but I have no idea where to look for information.I have Google and Ask Jeeves but most of the hits have nothing to do with it.

If anybody knows where I can look for information on medical physics I would appreciate you sharing.Thanks.

http://physicsweb.org/article/world/16/8/1

Zz.

Thank you.

Anything else?

*raises hand*

Hi there! I'm a medical physicist. Very happy to see someone interested in this little known field.

To be honest, getting into the profession depends very much on the country you live in. I am personally from the UK, and getting into the career here is fairly tough. I think the AAPM govern training in the US. A great place to chat with students in the US who have already begun their training is www.aapmstudents.com[/URL]. I'm sure they can answer specific questions about how to get into medical physics in the US.

For now, though, if you have any questions at all about the field, I would be happy to answer.

Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan, what was the name of the thread you started on this topic? Remember it? cause it is a good reference point...!

Mr. Robin Parsons said:
Jonathan, what was the name of the thread you started on this topic? Remember it? cause it is a good reference point...!

I think it was called "medical physics", but I can't seem to find it by searching. Hmm...

That's a good thread to read.Thank you for finding it.

Your welcome, Thank jono for starting it, me too, cause I agree it is/was a good thread!

:cool:

No problem :)

1. What is Medical Physics?

Medical Physics is a branch of applied physics that involves the use of physical principles and techniques in diagnosis and treatment of diseases. It is a multidisciplinary field that combines physics, engineering, and medicine to improve patient care and outcomes.

2. What are the requirements for studying Medical Physics?

The requirements for studying Medical Physics may vary depending on the university or program. Generally, a strong background in physics, mathematics, and biology is required. Some programs may also require specific coursework in topics such as anatomy, physiology, and medical imaging.

3. What types of careers can I pursue with a degree in Medical Physics?

A degree in Medical Physics can lead to a variety of careers in healthcare, research, and industry. Some common job titles include medical physicist, radiation safety officer, and healthcare technology manager. Graduates may also pursue further education and training in areas such as radiology, nuclear medicine, and radiation therapy.

4. What are some important skills needed for a career in Medical Physics?

Some important skills needed for a career in Medical Physics include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, excellent mathematical and computer skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Effective communication and critical thinking skills are also essential for working in a healthcare setting.

5. Are there any certification or licensure requirements for Medical Physics professionals?

Yes, certification and licensure requirements for Medical Physics professionals may vary by state or country. In the United States, the American Board of Radiology (ABR) offers certification in various subspecialties of Medical Physics, such as diagnostic radiologic physics and therapeutic medical physics. Some states also require a license to practice as a medical physicist. It is important to research the specific requirements for the area in which you plan to work.