Mollier Chart Help: Understanding Entropy Values

• Thread starter FstBlkBrd
  • Start date
In summary, the Mollier Chart is a tool used to understand the properties of steam, such as specific volume, enthalpy, and entropy. Entropy is a measure of the system's disorder and the values listed on the chart are specific entropy values calculated per unit mass of the substance. The constant lines on the entropy axis represent isentropic processes, and the numbers on the axis represent the specific entropy values in kJ/kg*K. This means that for every 1 kg of the substance, there is a change in entropy of that value for every degree Kelvin of temperature change. The concept of entropy on the Mollier Chart may seem confusing, but with further understanding and clarification, it can be easily grasped.
FstBlkBrd
Mollier Chart HELP !

Hi everyone,

I'm taking a course that requires me to have an understanding of steam tables and the Mollier Chart. I understand the specific volume and enthalpy parts of the tables. I can't seem to wrap my mind around the entropy values listed on the tables, what do those numbers relate to? On the chart, the constant lines on entropy go from 1.0 - 2.0 what do those numbers relate to also. I'm sure this is fairly simple, there just isn't enough Red Bull in my system to overcome my extreme fatigue, lol. Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Chris,

I understand your confusion with the entropy values on the Mollier Chart. Entropy is a thermodynamic property that measures the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. In other words, it is a measure of the system's energy that is unavailable for doing work. The entropy values listed on the tables are specific entropy values, which means they are calculated per unit mass of the substance.

The constant lines on the entropy axis represent isentropic processes, which are processes that occur without any change in entropy. The numbers 1.0 - 2.0 on the entropy axis represent the specific entropy values in kJ/kg*K. This means that for every 1 kg of the substance, there is a change in entropy of 1 kJ for every degree Kelvin of temperature change. For example, if the specific entropy value is 1.5 kJ/kg*K, it means that for every 1 kg of the substance, there is a change in entropy of 1.5 kJ for every degree Kelvin of temperature change.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of entropy on the Mollier Chart. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your course!

Scientist

Hi Chris,

The Mollier Chart is a graphical representation of thermodynamic properties of water and steam. Entropy is one of those properties and is represented by the constant lines on the chart. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system and is related to the amount of heat energy that is converted into work during a process. The values listed on the chart correspond to the entropy of water and steam at different temperatures and pressures. The constant lines on the chart represent the different values of entropy, with the lines closer together indicating a smaller change in entropy and the lines further apart indicating a larger change in entropy.

The numbers on the constant lines of entropy, such as 1.0 - 2.0, represent the entropy values in units of kJ/kg*K. This means that for every kilogram of water or steam, there is a certain amount of heat energy required to increase the entropy by 1 K (Kelvin). This value can be used to calculate the amount of heat energy required for a process involving water or steam.

I hope this helps to clarify the meaning and significance of entropy values on the Mollier Chart. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your course!

1. What is a Mollier Chart?

A Mollier Chart, also known as an "enthalpy-entropy chart" or "h-s chart", is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic properties of a substance. It plots the enthalpy (or heat content) on the vertical axis and the entropy (or measure of disorder) on the horizontal axis.

2. How is entropy represented on a Mollier Chart?

Entropy values are represented by curved lines, known as constant entropy lines, on a Mollier Chart. These lines are typically spaced evenly apart and correspond to specific values of entropy for a given substance.

3. What do the different areas on a Mollier Chart represent?

The different areas on a Mollier Chart represent the different states of a substance. For example, the top left area represents the gas phase, the bottom left represents the liquid phase, and the bottom right represents the solid phase. The lines between these areas represent phase changes, such as evaporation or condensation.

4. How can a Mollier Chart be used to determine the state of a substance?

By knowing the values of enthalpy and entropy for a substance, one can locate the corresponding point on a Mollier Chart and determine the state of the substance. For example, if the point falls in the liquid phase area, the substance is in a liquid state.

5. What is the significance of understanding entropy values on a Mollier Chart?

Understanding entropy values can help scientists and engineers analyze and predict the behavior of substances in different conditions. It can also aid in the design and optimization of thermodynamic systems, such as power plants and refrigeration systems.