Improve Reading Comprehension: Learn Basic Communication Skills

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the first post says that one death is too many, while the second post complains about "bashing America".
Adam
Now, in a recent thread, I said:
We had it here too, of course. I'm not sure of the numbers though. There has been some debate recently about the numbers of locals killed when Euros came to Australia. Many textbooks give a certain example of how aborigines here were treated, and reference one specific incident. But recently a guy showed evidence that the person supposedly responsible was actually over in England at the time, and the actual records of the alleged massacre show only four deaths, as opposed to the hundreds previously claimed. Personally I think one death is too many. But in general, I'm not sure of the actual numbers involved in the colonisation of Australia.

One clever response to this was:
If I were an aborigine living in Australia, I might wonder why you don't invest more time on some of these issues, instead of spending endless hours bashing America. After all, charity begins at home.

You openly admit that you haven't even taken the time to research the "actual numbers" enough to venture a guess as to the exact figure. The aborigines are not "actual numbers" they are human beings, and they deserve to be treated as such.

As you can see, the first post states that one death it too many. The second complains that "People aren't numbers! You're cruel!" Now, the second post makes no sense, since the first post mentions not only an aversion to any such deaths, but also the exposure to many books about the subject. The second post also complains of "bashing America", which I'm sure I've never done.

Reading comprehension, people. I've had this problem before. There are users who simply can't read, or don't know what they themselves are saying. Thus, ages ago, I provided this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=12028

However, not all reading and comprehension problems are associated with geography and politics. So I'll be a bit more general here. I'll just explain a few basic principles which may assist people in their reading and understanding.

Now watch closely, and try to learn something.

If a person says "Life good. Death bad.", it does not mean they like death, murder, massacres, et cetera. It means they like life, and think death is bad.

If a person says "I think chocolate tastes better than strawberry", it means they prefer chocolate to strawberry, rather than the other way around.

If someone says I dislike that person"", it does not mean they dislike all people. Saying they do would be what is known as a Straw Man: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html

If someone says "I dislike that law", it does not mean they dislike the people where that law was instituted. Saying they do would be what is known as a Straw Man: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html

If someone says "I dislike that government", it does not mean they dislike the people where that government rules. Saying they do would be what is known as a Straw Man: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html

If someone says "I'm not sure precisely how many people the USA military bombed and killed in Baghdad", it does not mean the person doesn't care about the people of Baghdad. It only means what it says, that the person is unsure of the numbers involved. Nor does it display any reason for the uncertainty, unless also stated.

Now, for further education, which is quite sorely needed here, please read the following webpages and try to learn some of the basic requirements for functional communication.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/

PS: If I come across as just a tad condescending, well, as with the Defintions thread, it's only because clear and basic explanations are required.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know who you are or where this original conversation took place, but right away I wish you were a dead aborigine.
Nobody likes a whiner.
Just a personal opinion.

Even though you threatened to kill the aborigine, you shouldn't make the mistake of using this to discredit the validity of his whining about another's whining, or you may be committing the fallacy: Ad Hominem:
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html

Let me commit a logical fallacy: And a 1 And a 2 And a 3 Thread close!

I have to agree with Adam. There is a very high percentage of people at PF who can neither understand what other people have written, nor articulate what they, themselves, mean to say. It leads to a lot of unnecessary arguments.

zoobyshoe said:
I have to agree with Adam. There is a very high percentage of people at PF who can neither understand what other people have written, nor articulate what they, themselves, mean to say. It leads to a lot of unnecessary arguments.

firgle nurgle franzen ook?

jimmy p said:
well said my man, well said indeed

jimmy p said:
Squiggiferous STERMATITE! Spekyamelly fhaetwertrod, (OJOPLEMMER!) plastriballinom!

zoobyshoe said:
Squiggiferous STERMATITE! Spekyamelly fhaetwertrod, (OJOPLEMMER!) plastriballinom!

Oh, you speak iroamdofandgane too?

jimmy p said:
Hell no. I couldn't understand a word you wrote. That is why I argued back in the Zoobonic language.

jimmy p said:
I think I hear a bit of an accent. You must be from Eastern Liptomasinktropia.
I was born in Central Liptomasinktropia, but moved to Poldirrringtoriton. "Go Rulitatopoers!"

tribdog said:
I think I hear a bit of an accent. You must be from Eastern Liptomasinktropia

*blush* :tongue: I thought you would guess...must be the way a pronounce my "ytesvshcye's"

jimmy p said:
Yeah, I can never understand French people either..

jimmy p said:
*blush* :tongue: I thought you would guess...must be the way a pronounce my "ytesvshcye's"
lol, it's a dead give away everytime. Know what I miss most about home? The morning national anthem goryntiter.
Oh Liptomasinktropia
My gu, my ru, my eychknatisingtrosinoq
erktopylman to all!
*sniff* forever will we flem
*sniff* in all your umretumakluk sniff
I miss my homeland

zoobyshoe said:
Hell no. I couldn't understand a word you wrote. That is why I argued back in the Zoobonic language.

There's a difference? No wonder i got beaten up when ordering a couple of Bgirnlozats...

Monique said:
Yeah, I can never understand French people either..

LMAO, oh Monique, you can be SO cruel... but at least you are speaking sense...

(ooh, that reminds me, should be going to Amsterdam in September...WOOT WOOT!)

lol, good thing you didn't ask for a side of vinklequers.

tribdog said:
lol, it's a dead give away everytime. Know what I miss most about home? The morning national anthem goryntiter.
Oh Liptomasinktropia
My gu, my ru, my eychknatisingtrosinoq
erktopylman to all!
*sniff* forever will we flem
*sniff* in all your umretumakluk sniff
I miss my homeland

haha, no one remembers the second verse to "goryntiter" yes, i agree, being so far from Liptomasinktropia can be SO hard.. i really do miss eating "jhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhkatnasjhjhjh"

jimmy p said:
(ooh, that reminds me, should be going to Amsterdam in September...WOOT WOOT!)
in SEPTEMBER !? better bring a full rainsuit and enough umbrella's to spare :rolleyes: (infact, the weather won't be that bad.. sometimes the sun shines :cool:)

tribdog said:
lol, good thing you didn't ask for a side of vinklequers.

as a matter of fact that is why i had my leg broken in 3 places... no no, that is cos i ordered "VANKlequers"

Monique said:
in SEPTEMBER !? better bring a full rainsuit and enough umbrella's to spare :rolleyes: (infact, the weather won't be that bad.. sometimes the sun shines :cool:)

It is supposed to be on a booze cruise with the local pub... anything i should look out for?? maybe we could meet up :wink:

jimmy p said:
haha, no one remembers the second verse to "goryntiter" yes, i agree, being so far from Liptomasinktropia can be SO hard.. i really do miss eating "jhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhkatnasjhjhjh"
You know jhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhkatnasjhjhjh? I was dating her back when it was still cool to wear roptimagerks.

jimmy p said:
It is supposed to be on a booze cruise with the local pub...
You definitely should be going to the Leidseplein then :)

Monique said:
You definitely should be going to the Leidseplein then :)
wow, you speak iroamdofandgane too?

Dutch is an iroamdofandganeze language.. that's what makes the 'g' so hard to pronounce..

tribdog said:
You know jhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhkatnasjhjhjh? I was dating her back when it was still cool to wear roptimagerks.

oh man, roptimagerks were SO last pinfeuktrakot... Isn't it crazy that jhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhkatnasjhjhjh is a also a name for an Eastern Liptomasinktropian delicacy. which jhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhjhkatnasjhjhjh do you know, cos i dated plenty in my time... :smile:

zoobyshoe said:
Can I get you a handkerchief or some Kleenex?

Tsunami said:
Can I get you a handkerchief or some Kleenex?

yeah no kidding.. i think i got sprayed.. :eek:

Michael D. Sewell said:
gootforg mesimert bogfrat!
-Mike
Gezundheit!
Would you like a Kleenex, too? I've got a whole box here... (is something going around or is this just Spring allergies/hayfever? :smile: )

i wonder if this is how Adam predicted his thread would go? AH well, bvfospomodhk wowrluxfo hyuchk

lol, how fewmeltezzingered Adam must be.

jimmy p said:
i wonder if this is how Adam predicted his thread would go? AH well, bvfospomodhk wowrluxfo hyuchk

Pretty close actually, yes.

What is reading comprehension and why is it important?

Reading comprehension is the ability to understand and interpret written text. It is important because it allows individuals to gain knowledge and information from various sources, communicate effectively, and succeed academically and professionally.

What are some basic communication skills that can improve reading comprehension?

Some basic communication skills that can improve reading comprehension include active listening, asking questions, summarizing, and making connections between ideas. These skills help readers engage with the text and better understand the information being presented.

How can I improve my reading comprehension?

To improve reading comprehension, it is important to practice regularly, read a variety of materials, and use strategies such as previewing, predicting, and summarizing. It is also helpful to build a strong vocabulary and develop critical thinking skills.

How can I help my child improve their reading comprehension?

Parents can help their child improve reading comprehension by reading with them, asking questions about the text, and discussing the information presented. They can also encourage their child to read independently and provide support and guidance when needed.

Are there any resources or tools available to help improve reading comprehension?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help improve reading comprehension. These include online courses, reading comprehension apps, and educational websites with interactive activities. Additionally, working with a tutor or joining a reading comprehension group can also be beneficial.