Frictionless Surface Homework: Newton's 3rd Law and Momentum

In summary, on a frictionless ice surface, when a small cylindrical disk hits a more massive square block head on, the block is pushed forward and the disk bounces back. This is due to Newton's 3rd Law and Conservation of Momentum. The objects exert equal forces on one another, making statement A, that the block pushes the disk, true. Statement E, that no forces occur because of inertia, is false.
Ryo124

Homework Statement

A small cylindrical disk hits a more massive square block directly head on. Both objects slide without friction on a smooth ice surface. The block is pushed forward and the disk bounces back. Which statement is true?

a) The block pushes the disk.
b) The disk exerts a greater force because it is moving.
c) The block exerts a greater force because it is more massive.
d) The total momentum changes when they collide.
e) No forces occur because the objects are just sliding (inertia).

Homework Equations

Newton's 3rd Law and Conservation of Momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've narrowed down my answer to either A or E because of Newton's 3rd Law and Conservation of Momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "the disk bounces back" indicate with respect to forces?

I don't get what you mean. All I know is that the objects exert the same forces on one another, right? So that is how I narrowed it down to either A or E. But is it one of the others? Can someone explain?

Newton's 3rd law tells us that when you punch the wall, the wall punches back equally. In other words, with equal force. In other words, you don't punch the block with any more force than the wall punches you with. In other words, your punch's force and the wall's punching force are equal.

So take what I said above, and replace your punch with the cylinder, and the wall with the block. Does one hit the other with greater force? Or are they equal?

I understand Newton's 3rd Law. So does that mean that the answer is A? Because there are forces that are occurring, even if it is a frictionless surface. So the answer is A. Correct?

Yes.

Ryo124 said:
I don't get what you mean. All I know is that the objects exert the same forces on one another, right? So that is how I narrowed it down to either A or E. But is it one of the others? Can someone explain?
E is false, because the disk is subject to a force by virtue of the fact that it changed direction and momentum, therefore a force had to be involved.

Okay. That makes sense Astronuc, thanks. Thanks to you too dvdqnoc

1. What is Newton's 3rd Law?

Newton's 3rd Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, the forces they exert on each other are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

2. How does Newton's 3rd Law apply to frictionless surfaces?

On a frictionless surface, there is no force of friction acting between two objects. According to Newton's 3rd Law, this means that the forces exerted by the two objects on each other will be equal and opposite, allowing them to move without any resistance.

3. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. How does momentum relate to Newton's 3rd Law?

According to Newton's 3rd Law, when two objects interact, the forces they exert on each other are equal and opposite. This means that the change in momentum of one object will be equal and opposite to the change in momentum of the other object.

5. Can momentum be conserved on a frictionless surface?

Yes, momentum is always conserved on a frictionless surface. This is because there are no external forces acting on the objects, so the total momentum of the system remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.