Calculating Projectile Distance: Seeking Assistance

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in a local competition where the goal is to calculate the distance a projectile will travel when launched at an angle from a certain height above the ground. The participants have attempted to simplify the necessary steps into one, but have encountered difficulties with the algebra. They are seeking external assistance, but are also curious about alternative methods. The conversation also mentions the initial velocity of the projectile and assumptions about the Earth's surface and gravity.
naes213
As part of a local competition, i have to calculate the distance that a projectile launched at an angle from a certain height above the ground will travel. a friend and i have attempted to shorten the three necessary steps (ignoring air resistance) into a single step.
v=rad(2gh), Dx=Vx*t, Dy=.5*a*t^2
However being at our level of experience the algebra gets a bit hairy and doesn't seem to quite work out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (also i am not certain that i have been clear in presenting my dilemma, so i will try to clarify if necessary since I am not good at explaining things in words)

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the rules of this competition allow you to receive external assistance?

You left out the initial velocity of the projectile when it is launched. Also, are you assuming a flat Earth (not having to worry about sub-orbital paths (ellipses as opposed to parabolas), or the strength of gravity being less at higher altitudes)?

Last edited:
Do the rules of this competition allow you to receive external assistance?
Yes. Its not a very serious competition, and this problem has become more of a quest than help with the competition. We can solve it with a different method, but are curious as to how this would work.

You left out the initial velocity of the projectile when it is launched. Also, are you assuming a flat Earth (not having to worry about sub-orbital paths (ellipses as opposed to parabolas), or the strength of gravity being less at higher altitudes)?
Since its not a really serious competition and the fact that it is mainly high school students we do not need to take the variability of the strength of gravity or anything else really into account. We assume as simplistic and ideal a world as is possible.
Thanks for the replies

What is the formula for calculating projectile distance?

The formula for calculating projectile distance is d = v0 * t + 1/2 * a * t2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do I determine the initial velocity in a projectile motion problem?

The initial velocity can be determined by using the formula v0 = v * cos(theta), where v is the initial velocity magnitude and theta is the angle of the initial velocity with respect to the horizontal.

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s2 or 32.2 ft/s2 on Earth, and it is denoted by the letter "g".

Can projectile distance be calculated for non-linear paths?

Yes, projectile distance can be calculated for non-linear paths as long as the initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity remain constant. In this case, the formula d = v0 * t + 1/2 * a * t2 can still be used, but the values for v0 and a may change depending on the direction of the projectile's motion.

How does air resistance affect projectile distance calculations?

Air resistance can significantly impact projectile distance calculations, especially for objects with large surface areas. This is because air resistance creates an opposing force that decreases the projectile's speed and alters its trajectory. In most cases, air resistance is ignored in projectile motion problems unless specified otherwise.