Two Pulley System: Equilibrium & Theta Calculation

Also, keep in mind that the angles theta and phi are not independent, they are related by the geometry of the system. (Sorry, I cannot provide a summary for this part as it is a continuation of the previous conversation and lacks context.)In summary, the tension in the rope from B to A and from A to C does not remain the same and to determine the value of theta when the system is in equilibrium, the sum of all acting x and y components must be calculated. B and C must be negative while A remains positive. The method of solving the problem involves equating the weight of A with the resultant of the two tensions, which are equal to the weights of B and C. There are reaction forces on the pulleys
Ry122
http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/Q40.jpg
Does the tension in the rope from B to A and from A to C remain the same?
To determine the value of theta when the system is in equilibrium do I need to calculate the sum of all acting x and y components? If so would B and C be negative and A be positive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ry122 said:
Does the tension in the rope from B to A and from A to C remain the same?

Not in general.

To determine the value of theta when the system is in equilibrium do I need to calculate the sum of all acting x and y components?

At a point which is in equilibrium, you always have to equate the sum of all forces along any direction to zero. The same goes for a system in static equilibrium, but considering all the forces at one time may not always turn out to be so fruitful

In this case, the weight of A is balanced by the resultant of the two tensions, which in turn are equal to the weights of B and C respectively. (The pulleys are assumed to be frictionless, and I've just given you the method of solving the problem.)

If so would B and C be negative and A be positive?

No. (I presume you mean their weights.)

if B and C are not negative then what is? something has to be negative otherwise the sum of the system won't be equal to zero.
do i just use a right triangle to solve for the resultant?

Last edited:
are B and C positive and A negative?

Ry122 said:
if B and C are not negative then what is? something has to be negative otherwise the sum of the system won't be equal to zero.
do i just use a right triangle to solve for the resultant?

There are reaction forces on the pulleys, acting upward. That gives your negative.

I didn't quite understand your 2nd Q. Do you mean how to solve for the forces at where A is hanging from? Break up into horizontal and vertical components, and then equate the sums to zero.

does this look right
Bsin(theta)+Csin(phi)-A=0
Bcos(theta)-Ccos(phi)=0
so i don't even have to find the resultant tension i just solve for theta?

Ry122 said:
does this look right
Bsin(theta)+Csin(phi)-A=0
Bcos(theta)-Ccos(phi)=0
so i don't even have to find the resultant tension i just solve for theta?

That is correct, but you should show the steps how you got there.

What is a Two Pulley System?

A two pulley system is a mechanical system that uses two pulleys, or wheels with grooved rims, and a belt or rope to transmit power or motion between two points. The two pulleys are connected by the belt, and the system is used to change the direction of force or increase/decrease the speed of an object.

How does a Two Pulley System achieve equilibrium?

A two pulley system achieves equilibrium when the forces acting on the system are balanced. This means that the net force and net torque on the system are equal to zero. In other words, the weight of the object hanging from the pulley and the tension in the rope or belt on both sides of the pulleys are equal and opposite.

What is the role of Theta in a Two Pulley System?

Theta is the angle between the two parts of the rope or belt that are in contact with the pulleys. In a two pulley system, theta is used to calculate the mechanical advantage, or the ratio of output force to input force. It also helps in determining the direction of the force and the amount of tension in the rope or belt.

How is Theta calculated in a Two Pulley System?

Theta can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, based on the geometry of the two pulleys and the angle of the rope or belt. The formula for calculating theta may vary depending on the type of system or configuration of the pulleys.

What are some real-world applications of a Two Pulley System?

A two pulley system is commonly used in everyday objects such as elevators, cranes, and bicycles. It is also used in more complex systems, such as industrial machinery, to lift heavy objects or to transfer power between different parts of the machine. In addition, it is used in physics experiments and demonstrations to study the principles of equilibrium and mechanical advantage.