The proof of the volume of the truncated cone

In summary, the truncated cone can be found using the formula for volume of a cone if the truncation is parallel to the base. Otherwise it is a little more complicated.
Jasty
Please I need a respectable proof how to get the volume of the truncated cone. I need it really quick. So please could you help me. No numbers just "the method" how to get that formula. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Starting from where? If you can use the formula for volume of a cone, its trivial.

Jasty said:
Please I need a respectable proof how to get the volume of the truncated cone. I need it really quick. So please could you help me. No numbers just "the method" how to get that formula. Thanks.

If the truncation is parallel to the base, Halls of Ivy is correct. Otherwise it is some what more complicated.

Yeah, I'll leave that to mathman!

I mean the most basic conditions. I can imagine the whole cone and than remove the top. Is there any other way how to prove it?

Let C be a truncated, right circular cone with height H, upper radius R1 and lower radius R2. Set it up on a coordinate system with the center of the base at (0,0,0), and center of the top at (0,0,H). Looking at it from the side, so that you see the xz-plane, you see a "trapezoid" with one side starting at (R2,0,0) and ending at (R1,0,H). Since any nonvertical line in the xz-plane can be written in the form z= Ax+ B. you must have 0= R2A+ B and H= R1A+ B. Subtracting the first from the second, H= (R1-R2)A so A= H/(R1-R2), B= -R2A so B= -R2H/(R1-R2). The equation of the line is z= H(x-R2)/(R1-R2) or you can write it x= (R1-R2)z/H+ R2.

Now imagine the entire cone, divided into thin disks: each has thickness "dz" and radius, x= (R1-R2)z/H+ R2 so area [itex]\pi [(R1-R2)z/H+ R2)^2[/itex] and volume [itex]\pi [(R1-R2)z/H+ R2)^2dx[/itex]. To find the entire volume integrate that from z= 0 to z= H.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks all.

Can we do this by using a deformation matrix and then using the regular formula if it is not parallel to the base? Just out of curiosity, couldn't see it right away

HallsofIvy said:
Now imagine the entire cone, divided into thin disks: each has thickness "dz" and radius, x= (R1-R2)z/H+ R2 so area [itex]\pi [(R1-R2)z/H+ R2)^2[/itex] and volume [itex]\pi [(R1-R2)z/H+ R2)^2dx[/itex]. To find the entire volume integrate that from z= 0 to z= H.

dz instead of dx?

Yes, of course. Thanks.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a truncated cone?

The formula for finding the volume of a truncated cone is V = (1/3)πh (r2 + rR + R2), where h is the height of the cone, r is the radius of the smaller base, and R is the radius of the larger base.

How is the formula for finding the volume of a truncated cone derived?

The formula is derived by using the method of integration to calculate the volume of the conical frustum, which is the shape created when the top of a cone is cut off parallel to the base. This leads to the formula V = (1/3)πh (r2 + rR + R2).

What is the difference between a cone and a truncated cone?

A cone is a three-dimensional shape with a circular base and a curved surface that tapers to a point at the top. A truncated cone, also known as a frustum, is a cone with its top removed parallel to the base, creating a flat top surface. It is essentially a cone with two circular bases of different sizes.

Can the formula for finding the volume of a truncated cone be applied to other shapes?

The formula can only be applied to truncated cones, but the concept of calculating the volume of a shape by using the method of integration can be applied to other shapes as well.

Why is knowing the volume of a truncated cone important?

Knowing the volume of a truncated cone can be useful in various real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a storage tank or the amount of material needed to fill a conical mold for a product. It is also an important concept in mathematics and science, demonstrating the use of integration to find the volume of irregular shapes.