Factoring Derivatives Using Limits: 4/x^2

• Thread starter lax1113
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of a function using limits and the difficulty in factoring the resulting equation. The speaker has successfully solved the equation to get the answer but is still unsure of the factoring method. The other person suggests combining the fractions and simplifying before noting that approaching 0 for the variable will result in a clear answer.
lax1113

Homework Statement

lim {f(x+h)-f(x)}/h
f(x)=4/x

So far, i have plugged in the function, and got
{4/(x+h)-(4/x)}/h

I have a Ti-89, my brother no longer needed for college, and when i factored this, it gave me -4/x^2. This is also the answer supplied in the back of the book. With that being said, i have the answer for this worksheet, but i really want to know HOW to factor this. I know it is going to be showing up a whole heck of alot, with this being the definition of a derivative using limits, so i want to know how this factors. I have tried a few times, but due to the difficulty of writing math by typing, i will just say that all attempts ended in indeterminant answers, so obviously, something hasn't worked.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far? You plugged in the function correctly. Now just combine everything into 1 common fraction and simplify it. Then note that (x+h) approaches x when h approaches 0.

What is the definition of "Derivative by Limits: 4/x^2"?

The derivative by limits of 4/x^2 is the rate of change of the function 4/x^2 at a specific point x. It is calculated by taking the limit as h approaches 0 of the difference quotient (f(x+h)-f(x))/h.

Why is the derivative by limits of 4/x^2 important?

The derivative by limits of 4/x^2 helps to determine the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the curve. It also helps to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of the function, which is useful in various applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How is the derivative by limits of 4/x^2 calculated?

The derivative by limits of 4/x^2 is calculated using the limit definition of the derivative. This involves finding the difference quotient and taking the limit as h approaches 0.

What is the difference between derivative by limits of 4/x^2 and derivative by rules?

The derivative by limits of 4/x^2 is calculated using the limit definition, while the derivative by rules involves using formulas and rules to find the derivative of a function. The derivative by limits is more accurate but can be more time-consuming, while the derivative by rules is quicker but may not be as precise.

What are some real-life applications of the derivative by limits of 4/x^2?

The derivative by limits of 4/x^2 can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, it can be used to calculate the acceleration of an object at a specific point, in engineering, it can be used to optimize designs, and in economics, it can be used to determine the marginal cost and revenue of a product.