Are Computer Scientists Engineers?

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, there is often overlap between computer science and engineering, with many CS departments co-located with electrical engineering and computer engineering departments. However, while engineering is the application of scientific knowledge and natural laws to design and implement structures and processes, computer science focuses on computation and algorithms. Some universities offer software engineering degrees, which may have more overlap with traditional engineering, but in general, computer scientists do not have the same background in fields such as electrical engineering or mechanical engineering that traditional engineers do.
Cod
The title of this thread says it all. As I'm researching different computer science undergraduate programs, I've noticed that many of the CS departments are co-located with the electrical engineering and computer engineering departments. Also, as I look at professional sites and such, I notice the sites include computer science right along side of engineering. There really isn't much "separation" of the two.

Wikipedia describes engineering as the discipline and profession of applying technical and scientific knowledge and utilizing natural laws and physical resources in order to design and implement materials, structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes that realize a desired objective and meet specified criteria. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't computer scientists do this every day as well?

Then, ABET describes engineering as the creative application of scientific principles to design or develop structures, machines, apparatus, or manufacturing processes, or works utilizing them singly or in combination; or to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions; all as respects an intended function, economics of operation and safety to life and property. Again, computer scientists do the this as well.

Lastly, accreditation bodies of engineering (ie ABET) have a specific accreditation process for computer science. So it would seem that the mathematics and physical sciences involved in a CS program are on par with engineering programs out there; however, a little more limited.

I know employers, advisors, and society in general do not refer to a computer scientist as an engineer; however, aren't they technically engineers? So why aren't they referred to as engineers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Computer science has absolutely nothing to do with engineering, though some of the courses do overlap with computer engineering and even electrical engineering. They also often use some of the same laboratory space, so schools put them close together geographically.

Computer scientists study computation itself -- algorithms and techniques to manipulate data. Computer engineers learn how to actually build a computer out of individual logic gates, but spend relatively little time learning to program them effectively. Computer scientists rarely even need to learn anything about electricity, and are not engineers at all, in any respect.

- Warren

Computer scientists rarely even need to learn anything about electricity, and are not engineers at all, in any respect

But what about software engineers? :smile:

There is basically a split between computer science (maths) and software engineering (engineering) BUT which the university calls the course and which it really is doesn't necessarily match up.

Computer Science and Software Engineering are nearly exactly the same at NZ universities, apart from Computer Science is 3 years, and Software Engineering is those 3 years, with the 'general engineering' year tagged on beforehand, to make 4 years. I can't tell you how annoying that year is... I want to go straight into Mechanical, but they make you do a whole year, of doing every engineering, before you go into your specialization. Agh!

In many large "high Tech" companies your CS degree will get you an Engineering position. In industry an engineer is just about anyone who is salaried and degreed but not management. Exactly what your degree is in does not matter as much has having the degree. Here at HP I know of people with Liberal Arts degrees holding Engineering positions...(not usually the best engineer!) . Generally they have come up through the "ranks" to get the job.

In some countries the profession 'engineer' is regulated and you can only get on the track if you have an approved degree ie. from a university engineering dept.

Computer/software engineering isn't really regulated yet - but some depts include a year of general engineering stuff to allow you to make the requirement (or because they are filthy sadists that like teaching 1000 bored undergras about blocks sliding down inclined planes)

Integral said:
In many large "high Tech" companies your CS degree will get you an Engineering position.

I'd be a little careful making such a statement. Electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, chemical engineering... you would not be able to get a job in any of these fields with a CS degree. If HP hires CS students into "engineering" positions, then they're not doing any real engineering at all. If HP's only definition of "engineer" is "salaried, degreed, but not management," then I think the company's got some big problems. Salespeople are engineerings? HR employees? Accountants?

C'mon Integral... Certainly, you're not suggesting that a CS student learns about microelectronics and EM fields, or turbo machinery and vibration, or reactor vessel design and control systems, are you?

- Warren

It's worse in the country that invented professional engineers.
An engineer is someone who arrives to hook up your cable TV.

I think that Computer Science is generally considered a Quantitative Science (like Physics or Chemistry, but obviously not a natural science), although since it tends to deal mostly with theory and algorithms, it is probably closer to math than science. Computer engineering is generally considered an engineering discipline, although with its focus on physics and chemistry, is probably closer in many respects to a quantitative science than computer science.

Either way, most departments require serious mathematics and physics classes for a Computer Science degree, and, truth be told, neither computer science nor computer engineering fit cleanly into either the science, engineering, or mathematics peg. I am not really too familiar with how software engineering differs from computer science or computer engineering (both of which are offered here). The only "software engineers" I know are from overseas.

chroot said:
C'mon Integral... Certainly, you're not suggesting that a CS student learns about microelectronics and EM fields, or turbo machinery and vibration, or reactor vessel design and control systems, are you?

- Warren

Electrical engineering is usually a requirement for a CS degree, but only one or two classes. They tend to focus more on the algorithms than the hardware. But I certainly have had professors who had undergraduate degrees in one field and graduate degrees in the other.

I think that Computer Science is generally considered a Quantitative Science (like Physics or Chemistry, but obviously not a natural science),

Depends who you ask, you can make a darn good case that a lot of computer science is a natural science.

Computer science is the study of computation and its fundamental limits. These limits are imposed by "nature". The models of computation we consider may or may not be possible in reality though. However, when a computer scientist proves a fundamental limit on what can be done with, say, a Turing machine (an unrealistic model of computation) then we know that we've proven a fundamental limit for the real computer as well since we know that Turing machines do better than real computers.

Are Computer Scientist in union with the IEEE?

Cincinnatus said:
Depends who you ask, you can make a darn good case that a lot of computer science is a natural science.

Computer science is the study of computation and its fundamental limits. These limits are imposed by "nature". The models of computation we consider may or may not be possible in reality though. However, when a computer scientist proves a fundamental limit on what can be done with, say, a Turing machine (an unrealistic model of computation) then we know that we've proven a fundamental limit for the real computer as well since we know that Turing machines do better than real computers.

Isn't Computer Science more of a Math then a Natural Science?

thewhills said:
Isn't Computer Science more of a Math then a Natural Science?

I think so, but in most universities it seems to be considered a quantitative science and get its own department in the science and math school. Maybe computer science, computer engineering, software engineering, and information technology should be unified under a single "Computational Studies" school?

chroot said:
I'd be a little careful making such a statement. Electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, chemical engineering... you would not be able to get a job in any of these fields with a CS degree. If HP hires CS students into "engineering" positions, then they're not doing any real engineering at all. If HP's only definition of "engineer" is "salaried, degreed, but not management," then I think the company's got some big problems. Salespeople are engineerings? HR employees? Accountants?

- Warren

I did NOT say what your job would be. Your TITLE would be Engineer. Your peers would be the other engineers in your department. We have MEs EEs and CS people all working under the umbrella of an engineer . But then HP is ...Well it is HP, one of the largest "high Tech" corporations in existence.

As I said in the first post all that they have in common is that they are salaried and have a 4yr degree of some sort.

In the US engineer is a very broad term, it covers a lot of ground and it is up the to the company to decide what they call that group of salaried workers with degrees. It is really impossible to answer the question "What does an engineer do" because it depends on the company and what your degree is.

I have to admit that I have no clue about sales people, I work for the technology development organization. We do not have any (that I know of) sales people in our organization. There may be some at the other end of the site working day shift but I know nothing of them.

Why would it be "trouble" to call the code head in your engineering group an engineer? We have EEs (who are frequently the code head) MEs, CEs, CSs , and even a few Physics degrees in our engineering groups. Each has a place on the TEAM. Is that a difficult concept?

vociferous said:
Electrical engineering is usually a requirement for a CS degree, but only one or two classes. They tend to focus more on the algorithms than the hardware. But I certainly have had professors who had undergraduate degrees in one field and graduate degrees in the other.

A course in Electrical engineering is a far cry from Electrical engineering. There may be some schools which require hardware courses for their CS programs but it certainly is not universal.

At my school (UMass), Electrical Engineers generally specialize in sensors, control systems, electrical power (generation/motors/etc.), communications (the hardware), and general electronic devices - from toasters to keyless entry devices. Computer Engineers are quite similar - sharing pretty much everything with EE's until the senior year, where they usually specialize in VLSI, designing chips/processors, advanced computer network classes, etc.

Computer Science majors have a very different curriculum at my school that is outside of the Engineering department. While some Computer Engineers will take a couple CompSci courses as electives, the CompSci people are all about programming advanced algorithms. Everything from artificial intelligence to data compression schemes.

Computer Information Systems is in the business department and is essentially a bachelors degree in liberal arts and secretarial skills.

It's also important to note that the financial and human aspect of design is integral to an Engineer's studies. From what I've gathered, CompSci is more along the lines of a pure science, where knowledge is generally sought for knowledge in and of itself (rather than application). Of course companies sometimes hire Physicists and Computer Scientists to do Engineering Jobs, and Vice Versa. But, I believe you need an engineering degree from an accredited school to become a PE and practice "Engineering" that involves the safety and well being of the public. Again, science focuses on the knowledge, whereas engineering focuses on applying that knowledge.

Topher925 said:
But what about software engineers? :smile:

They're not engineers either - another misnomer.

Cod said:
The title of this thread says it all. As I'm researching different computer science undergraduate programs, I've noticed that many of the CS departments are co-located with the electrical engineering and computer engineering departments. Also, as I look at professional sites and such, I notice the sites include computer science right along side of engineering. There really isn't much "separation" of the two.

Wikipedia describes engineering as the discipline and profession of applying technical and scientific knowledge and utilizing natural laws and physical resources in order to design and implement materials, structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes that realize a desired objective and meet specified criteria. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't computer scientists do this every day as well?

Then, ABET describes engineering as the creative application of scientific principles to design or develop structures, machines, apparatus, or manufacturing processes, or works utilizing them singly or in combination; or to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions; all as respects an intended function, economics of operation and safety to life and property. Again, computer scientists do the this as well.

Lastly, accreditation bodies of engineering (ie ABET) have a specific accreditation process for computer science. So it would seem that the mathematics and physical sciences involved in a CS program are on par with engineering programs out there; however, a little more limited.

I know employers, advisors, and society in general do not refer to a computer scientist as an engineer; however, aren't they technically engineers? So why aren't they referred to as engineers?

Strictly speaking, yes, they are engineers.

If you look at the definition of http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/engineer[1 you will notice immediately that they fit the definition. Note definitions 2b, and 3b,c respectively.

The area of specialty is just different. For example, here are examples of a CS and ME course of study.

http://www.ncsu.edu/registrar/curricula/engineering/14csc.html

http://www.ncsu.edu/uap/academic-standards/RR/curricula/engineering/14me.html

The first two years are almost identical, it is only the last two that differ. They differ due to the area of concentration. This is no different from that of an EE to ME to CE to whatever. The concentration is only different, which does not make anyone of them less of an engineer.

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did my EE, there were 3 core courses my school made them extremely serious: 1. Linear circuit analysis, 2. Signals & Systems 3. Electromagnetic fields and waves. Is that still the case for most EE program?

Integral said:
A course in Electrical engineering is a far cry from Electrical engineering. There may be some schools which require hardware courses for their CS programs but it certainly is not universal.

Cincinnatus said:

"Computer Science" is never a natural science.

Science is "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment"

Nowhere in the field of "Computer Science" you will find people dealing with "structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world".

In my opinion its just another name of the subject called "logic".

Yeah I don't think CS is a natural science, but I'd like to hear your reasoning.

1. Are computer scientists considered engineers?

This is a common question and the answer is yes, computer scientists can be considered engineers. While some may argue that the two fields are distinct, there is a lot of overlap between the skills and knowledge required for both disciplines. Many computer science programs even offer an option to specialize in software engineering.

2. Is a computer science degree the same as an engineering degree?

No, a computer science degree is not the same as an engineering degree. While both fields involve problem-solving and critical thinking skills, the focus and approach can be quite different. Computer science is more theoretical and focuses on algorithms and programming, while engineering is more practical and involves designing and building physical structures and systems.

3. Can computer scientists work as engineers?

Yes, computer scientists can work as engineers. Many computer science graduates go on to work in engineering roles, especially in the field of software engineering. However, they may need to gain additional skills and knowledge through on-the-job training or further education to be successful in an engineering role.

4. What is the difference between computer scientists and computer engineers?

The main difference between computer scientists and computer engineers is their focus. Computer scientists focus on the theoretical and mathematical aspects of computing, while computer engineers focus on the design and development of hardware and software systems. Additionally, computer engineering may involve more hands-on work with physical components, while computer science is mostly done on a computer.

5. Do computer scientists need to be licensed as engineers?

In most cases, computer scientists do not need to be licensed as engineers. Licensure is typically required for engineers who work in fields related to public health, safety, and welfare, such as civil engineering or mechanical engineering. However, some computer scientists may choose to pursue professional certification in specific areas of computer engineering, such as software engineering.