Acceleration of M1 in System of Pulleys

In summary, the problem involves two masses connected by strings and pulleys, with the goal of finding the acceleration of one of the masses. The pulleys are massless and frictionless, and the strings are inextensible. The solution involves setting up equations and using intuition to determine the relationship between the two masses' accelerations.
thejinx0r

Homework Statement

Mass M1 and M2 are connected to a system of strings and pulleys as shown. The strings are massless and inextensible and the pulleys are massless and frictionless. Find the acceleration of M1.

(image attached.
just to clarify the image, the upper left pulley is fixed to the ceiling and the bottom center black box is a fixed point on the floor. Imagine everything is perfectly centered as my skills on Paint are not so great)

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I do my FBD's for the 2 masses. Straightforward: gravity pointing down, tension pointing up.

It starts to get tricky on the pulley I labeled P.

Clearly, it will start to accelerate at some point. So, my FBD on it was T1 pointing up where T1 is the tension of the string due to M1. For the force pointing down, I said there would have to be at least 2*T2 because the first one comes from the mass M2 and the other comes from the "normal" force of the stationary hook (my black box).

The problem is the pulley is massless and I'm not sure how to treat it.

So I said treated the second pulley as a system. So it would have a mass of m2, with forces T1 pointing up, and 2*T2 pointing down.

Now, I have 3 equations, 3 unkowns. So I solve.

The problem was taken from Kleppner and Kolenkow, Q2.12 and the hint is : if M1=M2, then a=g/5.

And I get a=-g/2. So there must be something wrong with the way I treated the pulley.

Attachments

• pulley.PNG
    pulley.PNG
    726 bytes · Views: 645
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi thejinx0r,

thejinx0r said:

Homework Statement

Mass M1 and M2 are connected to a system of strings and pulleys as shown. The strings are massless and inextensible and the pulleys are massless and frictionless. Find the acceleration of M1.

(image attached.
just to clarify the image, the upper left pulley is fixed to the ceiling and the bottom center black box is a fixed point on the floor. Imagine everything is perfectly centered as my skills on Paint are not so great)

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I do my FBD's for the 2 masses. Straightforward: gravity pointing down, tension pointing up.

What did you get for these two equations? I'm thinking you probably got these incorrect, but if you don't show your work I can't be sure.

It starts to get tricky on the pulley I labeled P.

Clearly, it will start to accelerate at some point. So, my FBD on it was T1 pointing up where T1 is the tension of the string due to M1. For the force pointing down, I said there would have to be at least 2*T2 because the first one comes from the mass M2 and the other comes from the "normal" force of the stationary hook (my black box).

The problem is the pulley is massless and I'm not sure how to treat it.

So I said treated the second pulley as a system. So it would have a mass of m2, with forces T1 pointing up, and 2*T2 pointing down.

I don't believe this is correct. It's massless, so it has a mass of zero. This shows that

T1 - 2 T2 = 0

Now, I have 3 equations, 3 unkowns. So I solve.

The problem was taken from Kleppner and Kolenkow, Q2.12 and the hint is : if M1=M2, then a=g/5

g/5 looks correct to me for identical masses.

I just figured this problem out, literally 5 minutes before it was due.

You can a: Set up a system of a equations of the Height of the Pulley (attached to M2), and compare it to the height of M2 itself.

Or you can just use your intuition and realize that for every 1 meter that M1 moves, M2 moves 2 meters, meaning that A1 = A2/2 or 2 A1 = A2

1. What is the acceleration of M1 in a system of pulleys?

The acceleration of M1 in a system of pulleys is dependent on the number of pulleys in the system and the mass of M1. The acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where F is the net force acting on the system and m is the mass of M1.

2. How does the number of pulleys affect the acceleration of M1?

The more pulleys there are in the system, the smaller the acceleration of M1 will be. This is because each additional pulley adds more friction and decreases the net force acting on M1.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of M1 and its acceleration?

The mass of M1 has a direct relationship with its acceleration. The larger the mass of M1, the smaller its acceleration will be, and vice versa. This is because a larger mass requires a larger force to accelerate, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion.

4. Can the acceleration of M1 be greater than the force applied?

No, the acceleration of M1 cannot be greater than the force applied. This is due to the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, the force applied must be equal to the net force acting on the system, and thus, the acceleration of M1.

5. What other factors can affect the acceleration of M1 in a system of pulleys?

Other factors that can affect the acceleration of M1 include the angle at which the pulleys are arranged and the friction between the pulleys and the rope. A steeper angle and higher friction can decrease the acceleration of M1, while a shallower angle and lower friction can increase it.