Optimum angle of a starting surface lower than the landing surface

In summary, the question asks for the optimum angle for a BMX biker to bunny hop to a ledge that is 3.5 ft tall and 7ft away, with an initial velocity of 1.388 888 888 9 meter/second. The optimum angle is expected to be less than 45 degrees due to the height difference between the starting and landing sites. The formula used to solve for the distance and height is the equation of motion for projectile motion, which includes variables such as horizontal and vertical displacement, initial velocity, angle of launch, time, and acceleration due to gravity. However, it is unclear how to solve for the optimum angle using this equation.
icecomet

Homework Statement

When a BMX biker is bunny hopping to a ledge that is 3.5 ft tall and 7ft away at 1.388 888 888 9 meter/second what is the optimum angle? what is the distance achieved and the hieght achieve w/ the optimum angle?

*** Please inculde the formula used***

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is not a question quoted from a textbook but a question that I came up w/ myself. I am trying to find the fromula to get the distance and height of an optimum angle. I think the optimum angle is less than 45 degrees due to the fact that the landing site is above the starting site.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am thinking the formula I should use is the equation of motion for projectile motion, which states, x = V0*cos(theta)*t and y = V0*sin(theta)*t - 1/2*g*t^2 Where x is the horizontal displacement, y is the vertical displacement, V0 is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of the launch, t is the time, and g is acceleration due to gravity. However, I am not sure how to solve for the optimum angle with this equation.

I cannot provide a specific answer without conducting experiments and analyzing data. However, I can provide some insights and suggestions on how to approach this problem.

Firstly, it is important to define what is meant by "optimum angle" in this context. The optimum angle could refer to the angle of the bike's trajectory that maximizes the distance achieved, or it could refer to the angle that minimizes the energy expended by the biker.

Assuming that the optimum angle refers to the angle that maximizes the distance achieved, we can use the principles of projectile motion to solve this problem. The formula we can use is:

d = (v^2*sin(2θ))/g

Where d is the horizontal distance achieved, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of the trajectory, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

To find the optimum angle, we can use calculus to find the maximum value of the distance equation. This would involve taking the derivative of the equation with respect to θ, setting it equal to 0, and solving for θ. This would give us the angle that maximizes the distance achieved.

Once we have the optimum angle, we can plug it back into the distance equation to find the actual distance achieved and the corresponding height achieved. It is important to note that the height achieved will depend on the initial velocity of the biker, so we cannot provide a specific answer without that information.

In summary, the optimum angle can be found using the principles of projectile motion and calculus. However, without more information about the initial velocity of the biker, we cannot provide a specific answer.

1. What is the optimum angle for a starting surface lower than the landing surface?

The optimum angle for a starting surface lower than the landing surface depends on various factors such as the height of the starting surface, the distance to the landing surface, and the speed of the object being launched. Generally, the optimum angle is between 30 to 45 degrees for maximum distance and trajectory.

2. How does the angle of the starting surface affect the distance and trajectory of a launched object?

The angle of the starting surface plays a crucial role in determining the distance and trajectory of a launched object. A lower starting angle can result in a shorter distance and a more curved trajectory, while a higher starting angle can result in a longer distance and a flatter trajectory.

3. What happens if the starting angle is too low or too high?

If the starting angle is too low, the launched object may not have enough force to overcome the height difference, resulting in a shorter distance. On the other hand, if the starting angle is too high, the object may travel too far, potentially missing the landing surface altogether.

4. Can the optimum angle change depending on the weight or shape of the launched object?

Yes, the optimum angle can vary depending on the weight and shape of the launched object. Objects with a higher weight may require a higher starting angle to overcome the force of gravity, while objects with a different shape may experience different air resistance, affecting the trajectory.

5. How can the optimum angle be calculated for a specific starting and landing surface?

The optimum angle can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the height difference, distance, and speed. However, it is also important to consider practical limitations such as the strength of the launching mechanism and the environment the launch will take place in.