Something I always wondered about electroweak theory

In summary: I think he got massive vector bosons confused with Quarks, or something to that effect. Although, theoretically, if string theory is correct then wouldn't all matter act the same if you...I think he got massive vector bosons confused with Quarks, or something to that effect. Although, theoretically, if string theory is correct then wouldn't all matter act the same if you combined all the particles into one superpartner? :confused:In summary, the concept is hard to understand. Really, it is the unification I don't really understand. Does flavor turn into charge? Or is it some strange wave thing. Does that mean that light takes on weak properties at high energy levels? Or is there a new kind of
ilocar
the whole concept, I just don't get it. really its the unification I don't really understand. does flavor turn into charge? or is it some strange wave thing. does that mean that light takes on weak properties at high energy levels? or is there a new kind of light (like an electroweak wave?) and how does weak force fit into right-hand rule and inductance, or does that break down at the quantum level? thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write the weak- and the EM interaction as one single term, a field with U(1)xSU(2) gauge invariance, the fields are then B, W_1, W_2, W_3. The W_1 = W+ and W_2 = W- (the ordinary W-bosons) and The photon and the Z boson is a linear combination of B and W_3. At high energies, the photon and Z boson interactions takes place at same rate and same strength.

For instance
e+e- -> virtual photon -> e+e-
e+e- -> Virtual Z -> e+e-

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1979/

You can read each winners lecture

ilocar said:
the whole concept, I just don't get it. really its the unification I don't really understand. does flavor turn into charge? or is it some strange wave thing. does that mean that light takes on weak properties at high energy levels? or is there a new kind of light (like an electroweak wave?) and how does weak force fit into right-hand rule and inductance, or does that break down at the quantum level? thanks in advance for your wisdom.
Put simply, at high energies, the carriers(photons and W+- Z or massive vector bosons) behave the same. They are in the same phase and exhibit the same properties. Quarks and photons are the same thing. If we could give a name we could just say they are Quarph(not including the strong interaction and gravity here). The symmetry will breakdown at lower energies since this is when the MVBs acquire their masses.

Simple though.

Abbas Sherif said:
If we could give a name we could just say they are Quarph(not including the strong interaction and gravity here).
Ouarf ?

Abbas Sherif said:
Quarks and photons are the same thing.

Absolutely untrue.

humanino said:
Ouarf ?

hypothetical superpartner to quarks in very exotic SUSY models :tongue:

or just a typo :tongue2:

I think he's trying to say quarks and photons become the same thing and is coining his own word for it.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think he's trying to say quarks and photons become the same thing and is coining his own word for it.
But in order for this to make sense, you (IMHO) probably need ALL known particles to be the same, as in string theory. Even supersymmetry by itself is not enough. So my "ouarf" amounted to "that's quite a long shot".

Vanadium 50 said:
Absolutely untrue.
I quote again "at the proposed high energies (on the oreder of 100Gev), quarks and photons are indistinguishible and are the same according to the Salam-Weinberg theory" . You can check this with any website ob book on particle physics. And by the way thanks for clarifying the point that I meant to say quarks and photons are the same and was quoting my own word for it(please this is no word to be used,just some silly stuff).

Abbas Sherif said:
I quote again "at the proposed high energies (on the oreder of 100Gev), quarks and photons are indistinguishible and are the same according to the Salam-Weinberg theory" . You can check this with any website ob book on particle physics. And by the way thanks for clarifying the point that I meant to say quarks and photons are the same and was quoting my own word for it(please this is no word to be used,just some silly stuff).

I have 10 books on elementary particle physics, it is a good manner to say WHERE the quote are coming from!

Abbas Sherif said:

Maybe I don't have enough experience to say this, but how in the world does a quark and a photon ever appear or become the same? Photons have no rest mass and spin 1. Quarks have a non-zero rest mass and spin 1/2. I'm just a little curious here...

And salem Weinberg Theory is just another name for electroweak theory, right? Well, if so, I looked on the Internet and I haven't found anything that verifies what you are saying.

I think he got massive vector bosons confused with Quarks, or something to that effect. Although, theoretically, if string theory is correct then wouldn't all matter act the same if you got hot enough? becouse it would all just be "String" right?

ilocar said:
I think he got massive vector bosons confused with Quarks, or something to that effect. Although, theoretically, if string theory is correct then wouldn't all matter act the same if you got hot enough? becouse it would all just be "String" right?

The matter woudn't vibrate the same. Spin 2 stays spin 2, and so forth, I believe.

1. What is electroweak theory?

Electroweak theory is a scientific theory that explains the relationship between two of the four fundamental forces of nature - electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force. It is an important part of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How does electroweak theory explain the behavior of particles?

Electroweak theory explains the behavior of particles by using mathematical equations and concepts, such as gauge theory and symmetry breaking. It describes how particles interact with each other through the exchange of force-carrying particles called gauge bosons.

3. What is the significance of the Higgs boson in electroweak theory?

The Higgs boson is an important component of electroweak theory as it is responsible for giving particles mass. Its existence was predicted by the theory, and its discovery in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider confirmed the validity of electroweak theory.

4. How does electroweak theory relate to the unification of forces?

Electroweak theory is considered a step towards the unification of forces, as it combines two of the four fundamental forces into one theory. It is also a precursor to the theory of the Grand Unified Theory, which aims to unify all four fundamental forces.

5. What are the current challenges and unanswered questions in electroweak theory?

Some current challenges and unanswered questions in electroweak theory include the origin of mass, the hierarchy problem, and the existence of dark matter. Scientists are also working towards incorporating gravity into the theory, which would lead to a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.