Does the movement of protons create a magnetic field?

In summary: If the particles are travelling in a circle, then the Poynting vector is perpendicular to the circle's radius vector (r). However, if the particles are moving in a straight line, then the Poynting vector is equal to the radial vector component of the velocity (v). With these definitions in mind, the directional coupler can tell which way the particles are moving by measuring the difference in the Poynting vectors between the clockwise and counterclockwise rotating beams.For simultaneously counter-rotating 900-GeV beams of protons and antiprotons in the Fermilab Tevatron, it is not quite so simple. Directional couplers, which measure BOTH the radial electric field AND the
Topher925
Stupid question (or maybe stupid asker), but I'm having a hard time finding an answer. Of course the movement of electrons (- charge particle) creates a magnetic field when moving steadily through a conductor but what about protons (+ charge particle)? Let's just imagine you have protons passing through an ionically conductive material, would it create a magnetic field the same as electrons would but opposite poles? My science-sense says no, but I'm often wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Protons circulating in a proton synchrotron produce both an electric field, and a magnetic field. Either or both of these fields can be used to determine the number and position of bunches of protons. Same for antiprotons.

Bob S said:
Protons circulating in a proton synchrotron produce both an electric field, and a magnetic field. Either or both of these fields can be used to determine the number and position of bunches of protons. Same for antiprotons.

Really? I always thought the synchrotron produced electric and magnetic fields to circulate the protons? Back to the books for me...:rolleyes:

Topher925 said:
Really? I always thought the synchrotron produced electric and magnetic fields to circulate the protons? Back to the books for me...:rolleyes:
You need a DC magnetic field (dipoles) with focusing magnets (quadrupoles) to keep the protons in the vacuum chamber, and they will coast around and around for hours. The Lorentz force bends the protons' direction, but because the Lorentz force is perpendicular to the protons' velocity, there is no increase or decrease in the protons' speed.

Topher925 said:
Really? I always thought the synchrotron produced electric and magnetic fields to circulate the protons?

Fields ared used to contain the protons; but there are places where there are no coils and this is where the beam current can be measured using e.g a current comparator (this can be done using SQUIDs meaning the measurement is very sensitive).

You know the hand rules to determine the direction of the magnetic field (vector B) produced by a current?

If you have charged particles moving in a straight line, stick out your thumb like you're hitching a ride, point the thumb in the direction of the charge motion, and the curled fingers point will point in the direction of the circular magnetic field caused by the current. For positive charges use your right hand, and for negative charges use your left hand.

For charged particles moving in a circular path, like a loop or coil, point the curled fingers in the direction of charge motion, and then the thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field caused by the current. Just as in the first case, for positive charges use your right hand, and for negative charges use your left hand.

mikelepore said:
. For charged particles moving in a circular path, like a loop or coil, point the curled fingers in the direction of charge motion, and then the thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field caused by the current. Just as in the first case, for positive charges use your right hand, and for negative charges use your left hand.
For simultaneously counter-rotating 900-GeV beams of protons and antiprotons in the Fermilab Tevatron, it is not quite so simple. Directional couplers, which measure BOTH the radial electric field AND the azimuthal magnetic field, can distinguish between simultaneous clockwise and counterclockwise rotating beams. Recall that the Poynting vector P = E x H uniquely determines direction.

1. What is the relationship between proton movement and magnetic fields?

The movement of protons creates a magnetic field, as protons have a property called spin, which generates a tiny magnetic field as they move. This magnetic field is responsible for the attraction and repulsion of charged particles.

2. How does the direction of proton movement affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The direction of proton movement does not affect the strength of the magnetic field. However, the strength of the magnetic field is dependent on the number of protons moving and their speed. The faster and more numerous the protons, the stronger the magnetic field.

3. Can the movement of protons be controlled to manipulate magnetic fields?

Yes, the movement of protons can be controlled using magnets. By placing magnets near protons, their movement can be altered, which in turn affects the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

4. How is the movement of protons related to electricity?

The movement of protons is related to electricity as the flow of electrons is caused by the movement of protons. When protons move, they create an electrical current, which in turn generates a magnetic field.

5. Is the movement of protons the only factor in creating magnetic fields?

No, the movement of electrons also plays a crucial role in creating magnetic fields. In fact, the movement of electrons is typically the dominant factor in generating magnetic fields, as they have a much larger spin and are more numerous than protons.