Essential Fatty Acids: Nutrients in USDA Database

In summary, the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference is an important resource for people who want to create a balanced diet. However, there are some problems with the information it contains, most notably the lack of information about essential fatty acids and amino acids.
Tiiba
For a program I'm writing (which is supposed to create a balanced meal), I'm using two pieces of information: USDA's dietary reference intakes and a database (also from them) of nutrients each food product contains. There is a problem, though: the nutrients listed by the DRIs don't have a 1 to 1 correspondence with the nutrients in the database. The biggest problem is fatty acids. While the DRI says you need some omega-3 and some omega-6, no saturated or trans, the DB has no entries for Omega 3 or 6, or linoleic acid, or alpha-linoleic acid. It just lists each chemical in each group separately, leaving it to me to figure out what is what. And the way the constituent chemicals are named does not make it easy for someone who doesn't know biochemistry.

I am confused regarding whether the two linoleic acids can be replaced by the other fats in their groups.

Below, I list the chemicals available in the database, ordered by the column named "SR_Order" (sort order). You may note the annoying absence of iodine and vitamin B-7 (biotin).

[Water, Energy, Protein, Adjusted Protein, Total lipid (fat), Ash, Carbohydrate, by difference, Fiber, total dietary, Sugars, total, Sucrose, Glucose (dextrose), Fructose, Lactose, Maltose, Galactose, Starch, Calcium, Ca, Iron, Fe, Magnesium, Mg, Phosphorus, P, Potassium, K, Sodium, Na, Zinc, Zn, Copper, Cu, Manganese, Mn, Selenium, Se, Fluoride, F, Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Vitamin B-6, Folate, total, Folic acid, Folate, food, Folate, DFE, Choline, total, Betaine, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin B-12, added, Vitamin A, RAE, Retinol, Carotene, beta, Carotene, alpha, Cryptoxanthin, beta, Vitamin A, IU, Lycopene, Lutein + zeaxanthin, Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol), Vitamin E, added, Tocopherol, beta, Tocopherol, gamma, Tocopherol, delta, Vitamin D, Vitamin K (phylloquinone), Fatty acids, total saturated, 4:0, 6:0, 8:0, 10:0, 12:0, 13:0, 14:0, 15:0, 16:0, 17:0, 18:0, 20:0, 22:0, 24:0, Fatty acids, total monounsaturated, 14:1, 15:1, 16:1 undifferentiated, 16:1 c, 16:1 t, 17:1, 18:1 undifferentiated, 18:1 c, 18:1 t, 20:1, 22:1 undifferentiated, 22:1 c, 22:1 t, 24:1 c, Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated, 18:2 undifferentiated, 18:2 n-6 c,c, 18:2 CLAs, 18:2 t,t, 18:2 i, 18:2 t not further defined, 18:3 undifferentiated, 18:3 n-3 c,c,c, 18:3 n-6 c,c,c, 18:3i, 18:4, 20:2 n-6 c,c, 20:3 undifferentiated, 20:3 n-3, 20:3 n-6, 20:4 undifferentiated, 20:4 n-6, 20:5 n-3, 21:5, 22:4, 22:5 n-3, 22:6 n-3, Fatty acids, total trans, Fatty acids, total trans-monoenoic, Fatty acids, total trans-polyenoic, Cholesterol, Phytosterols, Stigmasterol, Campesterol, Beta-sitosterol, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Arginine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic acid, Glutamic acid, Glycine, Proline, Serine, Hydroxyproline, Alcohol, ethyl, Caffeine, Theobromine]

Biology news on Phys.org
There seem to be a lot of fatty acids listed. :confused:
Fatty acids, total saturated, 4:0, 6:0, 8:0, 10:0, 12:0, 13:0, 14:0, 15:0, 16:0, 17:0, 18:0, 20:0, 22:0, 24:0, Fatty acids, total monounsaturated, 14:1, 15:1, 16:1 undifferentiated, 16:1 c, 16:1 t, 17:1, 18:1 undifferentiated, 18:1 c, 18:1 t, 20:1, 22:1 undifferentiated, 22:1 c, 22:1 t, 24:1 c, Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated, 18:2 undifferentiated, 18:2 n-6 c,c, 18:2 CLAs, 18:2 t,t, 18:2 i, 18:2 t not further defined, 18:3 undifferentiated, 18:3 n-3 c,c,c, 18:3 n-6 c,c,c, 18:3i, 18:4, 20:2 n-6 c,c, 20:3 undifferentiated, 20:3 n-3, 20:3 n-6, 20:4 undifferentiated, 20:4 n-6, 20:5 n-3, 21:5, 22:4, 22:5 n-3, 22:6 n-3, Fatty acids, total trans, Fatty acids, total trans-monoenoic, Fatty acids, total trans-polyenoic

But you've hit on one of the problems that consumers encounter when trying to create a sensible diet...the nutrient information on most products is insufficient to do it. Most labels have a handful of vitamins, and then some things like total fats, total protein, and a few of the bad things. But, just using protein as an example, it's not enough to get some number of grams of protein a day, it needs to be complete protein. If you're missing an essential amino acid, no matter how much protein you eat in a day, you're still going to be malnourished. There's no easy way for a consumer to get ahold of this information.

That's the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference is all about.

1. What are essential fatty acids?

Essential fatty acids are nutrients that our body needs for proper function, but cannot produce on its own. Therefore, they must be obtained through diet.

2. What are the main sources of essential fatty acids?

The main sources of essential fatty acids are foods such as fish, nuts, seeds, and plant oils. Some common examples include salmon, walnuts, flaxseeds, and olive oil.

3. Why are essential fatty acids important for our health?

Essential fatty acids play a crucial role in maintaining our overall health. They are important for brain function, regulating inflammation, and supporting heart health. They also contribute to healthy skin, hair, and nails.

4. How much essential fatty acids should I consume per day?

The recommended daily intake of essential fatty acids varies based on age, gender, and certain health conditions. However, it is generally recommended to consume at least 1-2 servings of fatty fish per week and include a variety of plant-based sources in your diet.

5. Can a deficiency in essential fatty acids lead to health problems?

Yes, a deficiency in essential fatty acids can lead to health problems such as dry skin, poor wound healing, and impaired brain function. It can also increase the risk of heart disease and other chronic conditions.