Any Recommendations for Electroweak Theory Books?

In summary: I've have been looking at his book, since it will soon come in a new edition. But I have also his QED book, and that is a relly disappointment, it is like a mixture of Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Field Theory approach. It is full of insights and valuable derivations, but one always have the feeling that "this is not 100% the real deal".I agree with you on that point. I think the old edition is much better.
michelad
Hi all,

I would like to ask if anyone could recommend a good book in electroweak theory, possibly covering ew phase transition, ew baryogenesis as well?

Thank you!
Michela

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

What is your background in math and physics?

Thanks for the replies!

I'm an undergraduate in theoretical physics. I was maybe looking for a book "from a to z", that could be used as a reference book as well. I've done a course in particle physics though.

michelad said:
I'm an undergraduate in theoretical physics. I've done a course in particle physics though.
That's a big vague. Are you in your first year, last year, ...? Have you had QM, EM? What topics did you cover in the particle physics course? Which book did you use? Griffith's Intro to Elementary Particles would be a first step.

Haelfix said:
Try the online book by Howard Georgi 'Weak Interactions'

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~hgeorgi/weak.pdf

Wow! I did not know this was available online. It's a great book! (Probably too high-level for the OP, though; it assumes you already know quantum field theory.)

Landau said:
That's a big vague. Are you in your first year, last year, ...? Have you had QM, EM? What topics did you cover in the particle physics course? Which book did you use? Griffith's Intro to Elementary Particles would be a first step.

Sorry, you're right.. I'm almost graduating, so I've done QM and EM. For particle physics we used Griffiths, but I read also parts of Halzen & Martin's book.

michelad said:
Sorry, you're right.. I'm almost graduating, so I've done QM and EM. For particle physics we used Griffiths, but I read also parts of Halzen & Martin's book.

Then I would highly recommend the book on the weak interaction by Greiner.

nrqed said:
Then I would highly recommend the book on the weak interaction by Greiner.

does it contain the subject "EW baryogenesis"?

I've have been looking at his book, since it will soon come in a new edition. But I have also his QED book, and that is a relly disappointment, it is like a mixture of Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Field Theory approach. It is full of insights and valuable derivations, but one always have the feeling that "this is not 100% the real deal".

Thank you guys for all the good suggestions you gave me! =)

1. What is Electroweak theory?

Electroweak theory is a scientific theory that describes the unification of the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces into a single electroweak force.

2. Why is Electroweak theory important?

Electroweak theory is important because it provides a unified understanding of two of the four fundamental forces of nature and has been experimentally verified through the discovery of the Higgs boson.

3. What are the main principles of Electroweak theory?

The main principles of Electroweak theory include the gauge symmetry of the underlying interactions, the existence of four gauge bosons, and the spontaneous breaking of symmetry through the Higgs mechanism.

4. How does the Higgs mechanism work in Electroweak theory?

The Higgs mechanism in Electroweak theory involves the spontaneous breaking of symmetry through the Higgs field, which gives mass to the weak gauge bosons and fermions. This mechanism is also responsible for the existence of the Higgs boson.

5. What are the implications of Electroweak theory for our understanding of the universe?

Electroweak theory has important implications for our understanding of the early universe and the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It also provides a framework for further research and theories, such as the Grand Unified Theory.