Conservation of energy in a spring mass system help

In summary, the conversation revolved around a physics problem involving a force of 160N applied to a sliding mass of 13kg fixed on top of a spring. The spring force was 190N at any given instant, with an existing frictional force of 15N. The spring stiffness was 195N. The conversation included calculations for the acceleration of the mass, the displacement, and the elastic energy of the spring. The final part of the conversation involved comparing and contrasting the principles of conservation of energy and D'Alembert's principle. The problem was eventually solved with excitement and the individual was welcomed to the Physics Forums community.
eddierolling
hi i hope some one can help me with this I'm going out of my mind with it lol. I'm new to this forum so please forgive any errors in where this thread is or if it contains something it shouldn't.

a force of 160N is applied to a sliding mass of 13kg fixed on top of a spring. the spring force is 190N at any given instant and a frictional force of 15N exists. the spring stiffness is 195 N

A calculate the acceleration of the mass at the instant
B Determine the Displacement
C Calcutale the elastic energy of the spring
D compare and contrast the two principles applied. (i have to apply the conservation of energy and D'Alembert's principle)

i've used so far the equations (as i have wrote them down)

F+Fs+Fi+Fr+W=0 (W being weight not work)

Fi=-Ma

Dsplacement x=Fs/-k

and PE=0.5kx^2

i have the answers

Fi=82.53 N (up)
a=-6.348 ms^-2 (down)
x=-0.974 m (down)
PE= 92.56 J

its just the last part with the conservation of energy and how to compare the two principles, its baffled me. plus i hope I've got the rest wright up to now!

any help anyone can give will be brillient

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
P.S.
I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes, i know its terrible spelling lol.

thanks to anyone who looked and had a go.

i am excited to inform that i solved the problem in a blaze of excitment when i realized!

thanks again

eddierolling said:
... i solved the problem ...

Way to go!

And, welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

What is conservation of energy in a spring mass system?

Conservation of energy in a spring mass system refers to the principle that the total energy of the system remains constant over time. This means that the energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

How is energy conserved in a spring mass system?

In a spring mass system, the energy is conserved through the exchange between potential energy and kinetic energy. As the spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy. As the spring is released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy of the mass, and vice versa.

What factors affect the conservation of energy in a spring mass system?

The conservation of energy in a spring mass system is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation. A larger mass or stiffer spring will result in more energy being stored, while a larger amplitude will result in more energy being exchanged between potential and kinetic energy.

What happens to the energy in a spring mass system if there is friction present?

If there is friction present in a spring mass system, some of the energy will be lost to heat and sound, resulting in a decrease in the total energy of the system over time. This means that the oscillations will eventually decrease in amplitude and stop.

How is conservation of energy in a spring mass system related to other concepts in physics?

Conservation of energy in a spring mass system is related to other fundamental principles in physics, such as the law of conservation of energy, the principle of mechanical energy conservation, and the laws of motion. It is also closely connected to the concepts of work, power, and potential and kinetic energy.