Who is capable of achieving Landau's Theoretical Minimum in theoretical physics?

In summary, anyone with a strong understanding of mathematics and physics, as well as the motivation and dedication to study and learn, is capable of achieving Landau's Theoretical Minimum in theoretical physics. This includes both students and professionals, as well as individuals from diverse backgrounds. However, it is important to note that achieving this level of understanding and expertise requires significant effort and time, and may not be attainable for everyone.
maverick_starstrider
If we define Landau's Theoretical Minimum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Landau#The_Landau_School) as roughly understanding ALL of the entire course of theoretical physics by Landau and Lifgarbagez, who thinks they would make the minimum? I know I sure as hell wouldn't. That requirement is insane.

Physics news on Phys.org
I bought the book collection, so I know I would fail the exam too. On the other hand, the books are old and much more is available today depending on your domain. Besides, I still think it's quite possible to pass the exam, provided one works only this content and nothing else.

Whenever I start research on a domain which is new to me, I consider reading the relevant chapters in this collection a must.

Between 1934 and 1961, only 43 people passed this test.

That wouldn't be surprising if they were taught by Landau. His books are awesome...but only as a review if you know the material well.

Pinu7 said:
but only as a review if you know the material well.
I think the books are meant to be self contained and introductory. There is no pre-requirement at all, except possibly previous books in the same collection.

Can people find out all names which passed Landau's test. I heard that one or two people came and find mistake in Landau's papers and Immediately passed the test. Is it true?

Old post but anyways here is the list : http://www.dsm.fordham.edu/~maron/wagers/landau.html

1. What is Landau's Theoretical Minimum?

Landau's Theoretical Minimum is a set of fundamental concepts and principles in physics that were identified by Soviet physicist Lev Landau as essential for understanding the most basic laws of nature.

2. What are the topics covered in Landau's Theoretical Minimum?

The topics covered in Landau's Theoretical Minimum include classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and statistical physics.

3. Who is Landau and why is his theoretical minimum important?

Lev Landau was a renowned Soviet physicist who made significant contributions to the fields of theoretical physics and condensed matter physics. His theoretical minimum is important because it provides a foundation for understanding the laws of nature and has been used as a basis for many advanced physics courses and research.

4. Can Landau's Theoretical Minimum be understood by non-scientists?

While Landau's Theoretical Minimum is intended for students studying physics at an advanced level, it can also be understood by non-scientists with a strong interest in physics. However, it may require some prerequisite knowledge and mathematical skills to fully grasp the concepts.

5. Is Landau's Theoretical Minimum still relevant today?

Yes, Landau's Theoretical Minimum is still relevant today as it provides a solid foundation for understanding the laws of nature and has been used as a basis for many advanced physics courses and research. Many of its concepts and principles are still used and expanded upon in modern physics research.