Why does mass not affect gas pressure in ideal gas law?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different gases in a virtual lab and how the results were the same regardless of the type of gas used. This is because the gas laws are based on parameters such as temperature, pressure, volume, and molarity, which take into account the mass of the gas. This means that a heavy molecule with the same kinetic energy as a light molecule will move slower, and thus have the same effect on the piston. The conversation also touches on the importance of temperature in determining the behavior of gases.
ariana0923
So, I was playing around with this virtual lab online. I could add light gas or heavy gas to try to make the piston move. I got the same results using both gases..in other words, it took the same amount of light gas to move the piston as it did using heavy gas. Why is that? One would think it would make a difference..

Science news on Phys.org
Nope. The parameters for the gas laws are temperature, pressure, volume and molarity. A mole is a mole, regardless of the gas; likewise volume. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the gas particles--at first glance, it might seem that molar mass would make a difference here, but a heavy molecule with a given KE will move more slowly than a light molecule with the same KE. If you can find a simulation which tracks average particle velocity, you';ll see what I mean.

negitron said:
it might seem that molar mass would make a difference here, but a heavy molecule with a given KE will move more slowly than a light molecule with the same KE. .

...that confused me because I thought the mass DIDN'T make a difference?

Mass doesnt, becuase you are measuring the gas in terms of other variables that effectively take into account the mass.

From ideal gas: PV=nRTAs negitron was saying the Temperature is a way of describing the kinetic energy of the molecules. A for a heavy molecule to have the same KE as a light molecule it must be traveling slower.

As pressure depends on the Temp (average energy) of the gas, we don't care about how much it weighs, only the energy it has.

1. What is the difference between light gas molecules and heavy gas molecules?

Light gas molecules are molecules that have a lower molecular weight and move at a faster speed compared to heavy gas molecules, which have a higher molecular weight and move at a slower speed.

2. How do light gas molecules and heavy gas molecules affect air density?

Light gas molecules, such as hydrogen and helium, are less dense and therefore make the air less dense. Heavy gas molecules, such as sulfur hexafluoride, are more dense and make the air more dense.

3. Do light gas molecules and heavy gas molecules behave differently under different temperatures and pressures?

Yes, light gas molecules are more likely to be affected by temperature and pressure changes compared to heavy gas molecules. This is because light gas molecules have weaker intermolecular forces and are more easily influenced by external factors.

4. How do light gas molecules and heavy gas molecules contribute to atmospheric gases?

Light gas molecules, such as nitrogen and oxygen, are the main components of Earth's atmosphere and play a crucial role in supporting life. Heavy gas molecules, while present in smaller quantities, also contribute to the composition of the atmosphere and can have important effects on weather patterns.

5. Can light gas molecules and heavy gas molecules be separated?

Yes, light and heavy gas molecules can be separated through a process called fractional distillation, which takes advantage of their different boiling points. This process is commonly used in industries such as oil refining and gas production.