Calculate Limit of Series: Find $\displaystyle\lim_{k\to\infty}\frac{n_k}{d_k}$

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of the ratio of two sequences, n_k and d_k, which are members of the Fibonacci series. The proof of convergence and the solution of the ratio using continued fractions are also mentioned. The answer is the golden ratio, and the conversation also provides a method to solve for the two sequences separately before finding the limiting ratio.
sennyk
I want to calculate the following:

[tex]
\displaystyle\lim_{k\to\infty}\frac{n_k}{d_k}
[/tex]
where,
[tex]
n_0 = 2
[/tex]
[tex]
d_0 = 1
[/tex]
[tex]
n_k = 2n_k_-_1 +d_k_-_1
[/tex]
[tex]
d_k = n_k_-_1 + d_k_-_1
[/tex]

For the life of me I have no idea how to do this. By the way, the answer is supposed to be
[tex]\frac{1 + \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

This is not a homework problem. I was doing an electrical engineering problem and to solve the problem this series was magically solved.

Please any help is appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm intrigued... as the answer it is supposed to be is the golden ratio.

Okay, you may proceed as follows:
[tex]\frac{n_{k}}{d_{k}}=\frac{2n_{k-1}+d_{k-1}}{n_{k-1}+d_{k-1}}=1+\frac{1}{1+\frac{d_{k-1}}{n_{k-1}}}[/tex]

Assuming that a limit exists as k (and therefore k-1) trundles off into infinity, call that limit "x".

Thus, you get the equation,
which ought to be easily solved.
[tex]x=1+\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

Note that this is simply another way of writing the continued fractions representation of the golden ratio.

Last edited:
Another way to proceed, would be to first solve for the one sequence, then for the seconde, and finally solve for the limiting ratio.

We can start with rearranging the second equation:
[tex]n_{k-1}=d_{k}-d_{k-1}\to{n_{k}=d_{k+1}-d_{k}(*)[/tex]

Inserting these relations into the first, we get:
[tex]d_{k+1}-d_{k}=2(d_{k}-d_{k-1})+d_{k-1}\to{d}_{k+1}-3d_{k}+d_{k-1}=0[/tex]
Noting from (*) that we have [itex]d_{0}=1,d_{1}=3[/itex], you should be able to solve for the d-sequence.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the limit of a series?

The limit of a series is used to determine the behavior of a sequence as it approaches infinity. It can help to determine if a sequence converges or diverges, and if it converges, what value it converges to.

2. How do you calculate the limit of a series?

To calculate the limit of a series, you need to find the ratio of the nth term to the (n-1)th term, and take the limit as n approaches infinity. This can be done by simplifying the expression and then substituting infinity for n.

3. What is the significance of the numerator and denominator in the limit of a series?

The numerator represents the nth term of the sequence, while the denominator represents the (n-1)th term. These terms are used to determine the ratio of consecutive terms, which helps to determine if the sequence converges or diverges.

4. Can the limit of a series be negative?

Yes, the limit of a series can be negative. Whether the limit is positive, negative, or zero depends on the values of the numerator and denominator and how they change as n approaches infinity.

5. What does it mean if the limit of a series is equal to infinity?

If the limit of a series is equal to infinity, it means that the sequence is divergent and the terms are increasing without bound as n approaches infinity. This can also be written as "lim n→∞ an = ∞".