Max Capacity of a Lift: Examining Probability

In summary: Also, for c and d, you should think about whether the sample size is different. It changes the problem significantly.
nicholasch

Homework Statement

Lifts usually have signs indicating their maximum capacity. Consider a sign in a lift that reads “maximum capacity 1120kg or 16 persons”. Suppose that the weights of lift-users are normally distributed with a mean of 68kg and a standard deviation of 8kg.

(a) What is the probability that a lift-user will weigh more than 70kg?
(b) What is the probability that a lift-user will weigh between 65 and 75kg?
(c) What is the probability that 16 people will exceed the weight limit of 1120kg?
(d) What is the probability that 18 people will not exceed the weight limit?

[Hint for parts (c) and (d): Convert the probability statement about total weight into a probability statement about average weight.]

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) pr(x>70)= pr((70-68)/8))= pr(z>0.25) =0.401294
(b) pr(65<x<75) = pr((65-68)/8<z<(75-68)/8))=pr(-3/8<z<7/8) = 0.455383
(c) not too sure how to approach this but... 1120/16=70. so need to calculate pr(x>70) 16 times? 0.401296^16?
(d) 1120/18= 62.2222222222, that means 18 people can't be above 62.22kgs?

please help not sure if I am on the right track

Physics news on Phys.org
The answers for a and b look reasonable (I didn't check your math closely), but here's a tip on what you're writing, since you are losing some information about the inequalities in your probabilities.

a)Pr(x > 70) = Pr( (x - mu)/sigma > (70 - 68)/8 ) = Pr(z > 0.25) = ...

Do you see how what I wrote is different from what you have? If you don't keep track of the inequalities inside Pr( ... ), you will probably come to grief sooner rather than later.

b) Similar comment

cool thanks for the prompt reply. i was trying to speed up the process with the typing, but i guess i best avoid it before it becomes a habit.

how about c+d? am i on the right track?

For c and d, I don't think you're on the right track. You need to use a different statistic, one that deals with sample collections rather than individual items. If I'm remembering correctly, the statistic is called the standard error of the mean, and looks a lot like the Z statistic, but sigma is different.

SE = sigma/sqrt(n), and
z = (M - mu)/SE

where sigma is the population s.d., mu is the population mean, M is the sample mean, and n is the number in the sample. You can read more about this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-test, in the section titled Example. Set up your inequalities as before, but use this form of z.

What is the maximum capacity of a lift?

The maximum capacity of a lift refers to the maximum weight that a lift is designed to carry safely. This weight includes both the weight of the passengers and any additional items or cargo being transported.

How is the maximum capacity of a lift determined?

The maximum capacity of a lift is determined by its manufacturer and is based on various factors such as the size and strength of the lift motor, the size and design of the lift car, and the structural integrity of the lift shaft. These factors are carefully calculated to ensure the lift can safely carry the designated weight without any risk of failure or malfunction.

What happens if the maximum capacity of a lift is exceeded?

If the maximum capacity of a lift is exceeded, it can lead to various safety hazards such as the lift becoming stuck or malfunctioning, or even collapsing. It is important to always follow the weight limit specified by the lift manufacturer to ensure the safety of all passengers.

How is probability used to examine the maximum capacity of a lift?

Probability is used to examine the maximum capacity of a lift by determining the likelihood of the lift functioning properly and safely when carrying its maximum weight. This includes taking into account factors such as the weight distribution of the passengers and any additional items, as well as the likelihood of an unexpected event occurring.

Can the maximum capacity of a lift be increased?

No, the maximum capacity of a lift is determined by its manufacturer and cannot be increased. Attempting to increase the weight limit of a lift can lead to serious safety risks and is not recommended. If you require a lift with a higher weight capacity, it is important to purchase one that is specifically designed and rated for the desired weight limit.