Difference between Applied Science and Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between engineering and applied science. The speaker's colleague, who has a background in physics and previous experience at NASA, explains that applied science seeks to apply pure science for practical purposes, while regular science is focused on research for the sake of discovery. The speaker understands the distinction and is interested in pursuing a career in a field that has yet to be determined after completing their undergraduate degree in physics.
Shackleford
I always thought engineering is applied science, but a guy at work says no - engineering is a part of applied science. Applied science seeks to apply pure science or discover where it can be applied. So, I'm just wondering what all the nuances are. He said I seem like an Applied Science guy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this was a stupid question. lol.

Maybe a difference could be that applied science does research, but research with an application (engineering, medicine, etc). 'Regular' science does research with no application in mind, its just to discover phenomenon and model observations. Engineering is not about research, its about using ideas and models that are already known to construct something.

In practice, it can be pretty hard to differentiate between those fields.

Academic said:
Maybe a difference could be that applied science does research, but research with an application (engineering, medicine, etc). 'Regular' science does research with no application in mind, its just to discover phenomenon and model observations. Engineering is not about research, its about using ideas and models that are already known to construct something.

In practice, it can be pretty hard to differentiate between those fields.

Yeah. Okay. Applied science is a different flavor of research - application-oriented research. I certainly understand what engineering is. You create something specific that has never been made before. I think the guy at work is right. His background is physics, ret. Lt. Col. USMC, NASA, etc. I always enjoy talking with him about a number of topics (science, politics, history, etc.) since our interests are similar. After I finish my Physics BS in a couple of years, I'll hopefully start graduate school and a career in something that has yet to be determined.

The difference between applied science and engineering is a common misconception, so it's understandable that there may be some confusion. While both fields involve the practical application of scientific principles, there are distinct differences between them.

Applied science, also known as technology or engineering science, is the use of scientific knowledge to develop practical solutions to real-world problems. This can include creating new materials, processes, or products, as well as improving existing ones. Applied scientists work in a wide range of industries, including healthcare, manufacturing, and technology.

On the other hand, engineering is a specific branch of applied science that focuses on the design, development, and construction of structures, machines, systems, and processes. Engineers use scientific principles, along with mathematical and computational tools, to design and build solutions to problems. They also consider factors such as cost, safety, and sustainability in their designs.

So, while engineering is a part of applied science, it is a distinct field with its own set of principles and practices. Applied science is a broader term that encompasses various fields, including engineering, and seeks to apply scientific knowledge to practical problems.

In terms of your colleague's comment about you being an "applied science guy," it could mean that you have a strong understanding and interest in the practical application of scientific principles. However, it's important to note that both applied science and engineering require a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills, and there is often overlap between the two fields.

In summary, applied science and engineering are closely related but have distinct differences. Both play crucial roles in advancing technology and improving our daily lives, and it's important to recognize and appreciate the nuances between them.

1. What is the main difference between applied science and engineering?

The main difference between applied science and engineering is that applied science is focused on understanding and applying scientific principles to real-world problems, while engineering is focused on using these principles to design and create solutions to specific problems.

2. Are applied science and engineering considered to be separate fields of study?

Yes, applied science and engineering are considered to be separate fields of study. While they are closely related and often work together, they have distinct focuses and approaches to problem-solving.

3. Can the principles and methods used in applied science be applied to engineering?

Yes, the principles and methods used in applied science can be applied to engineering. In fact, engineering often relies on the findings and advancements made in applied science to create innovative solutions.

4. How does the job market differ for those with degrees in applied science versus engineering?

The job market for those with degrees in applied science and engineering can differ in terms of specific job titles, but both fields offer a wide range of opportunities in various industries. Applied science graduates may find roles in research and development, while engineering graduates may find roles in design, testing, and project management.

5. Which field is better for someone who enjoys problem-solving and innovation?

Both applied science and engineering require problem-solving and innovation, but the approach and focus may differ. Applied science is more focused on understanding the principles behind a problem, while engineering is more focused on creating a tangible solution. Ultimately, the best fit for someone who enjoys problem-solving and innovation will depend on their specific interests and strengths.