How Do I Calculate the Pulley Ratio for a Complex Boat Pulley System?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the pulley ratio from a given drawing. The person is unsure if they need any additional information such as rope lengths or pulley diameters. They remember that they can calculate the ratio using the load, but they have traded in their machine design book and need help. Another person confirms that the only information needed is in the picture and suggests checking the sum of forces and tension to verify the accuracy of the answer.
Darknes51986
A guy at work gave me this drawing I have attached and asked me to find the pulley ratio. Do I need any other information such as rope lengths, pulley diameters, or load? I traded in my machine design book and don't remember exactly how to calculate the ratio. Is there anything else I can calculate involving the load that would be helpful if I knew the weight of the boat. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• pulley.JPG
    pulley.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 774
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nope, you don't need anything other than what is in the picture.

So what I do is break up the pulley into sections and add up the tensions (T) right? With the tensions from each section I can get the ratio? Is this correct? I re-drew the drawing with my work on it. 9T:1T is my answer I just need someone to check that.

Attachments

• pulley2.JPG
    pulley2.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 522
Can anyone confirm my answer or is it off?

Check to verify the sum of the forces is equal to zero in both the X and Y directions. Also verify the tension in any given rope is constant. If both of these are good, then the system is in static equilibrium.

What is a complex pulley for a boat?

A complex pulley for a boat is a mechanical device used to change the direction of force and make it easier to lift heavy objects, such as a boat. It consists of multiple pulleys and ropes arranged in a specific way to achieve the desired mechanical advantage.

How does a complex pulley for a boat work?

A complex pulley for a boat works by distributing the weight of the boat across multiple ropes and pulleys, thus reducing the amount of force needed to lift it. This is achieved through a combination of fixed and movable pulleys, where the force applied to one end of the rope is multiplied at the other end.

What are the benefits of using a complex pulley for a boat?

The main benefit of using a complex pulley for a boat is that it makes lifting heavy objects, such as a boat, much easier. It also reduces the strain on the person operating the pulley, making it more efficient and safer. Additionally, a complex pulley system allows for precise control over the lifting process.

What factors should be considered when choosing a complex pulley for a boat?

When choosing a complex pulley for a boat, factors such as the weight of the boat, the desired mechanical advantage, and the strength of the ropes and pulleys should be taken into consideration. It is important to select a system that can handle the weight of the boat and provide the necessary mechanical advantage without compromising safety or durability.

Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using a complex pulley for a boat?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when using a complex pulley for a boat. These include ensuring that all ropes and pulleys are in good condition, avoiding overloading the system, and using proper lifting techniques. It is also important to have a clear understanding of how the pulley system works and to use it in a controlled and safe manner.