Torque & Net Work Homework: Find Average Torque & Net Work

In summary: So in summary, we need to find the moment of inertia of a cylindrical disk with a mass of 0.250kg and a diameter of 31.0cm, which is equal to 0.003 Kg m^2. To bring the disk up to operating speed in 1.50 seconds, we need a torque of 0.00697708 N m. The net work done on the disk in this process is 0.0182 J.
Mowgli

Homework Statement

An old 33 1/3 rpm turntable may be approximated by a cylindrical disk of mass 0.250kg and a diameter of 31.0cm.

a.) What average torque will bring it up to operating speed in 1.50 seconds starting from rest?

b.) what net work is done on the disk in bringing it up to operating speed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can anyone help me get started on this? We never went over torque!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mowgli said:
Can anyone help me get started on this? We never went over torque!
Really? :confused: Is this for a homework problem?

Well I guess a first step would be to read up on torque. You'll also want to acquaint yourself with the concept of "moment of inertia." As an interim step to this problem, you will need to find the moment of inertia of a 0.250kg cylindrical disk. Before you're finished, you'll also need to research the concept of rotational kinetic energy. :wink:

Is this correct?

mass m = 0.25 Kg
diameter d = 31 cm
radius r = 15.5 cm = 0.155 m
moment of inertia I = (1/2)mr^2 = 0.003 Kg m^2
(a)
ω1 = 0
n = 33 1/3 = 100/3 = 33.33 rpm = 0.5555 rps
ω2 = 2πn = 2*3.14*0.5555 = 3.48854 rad/s
t = 1.5 s
we know that
torque τ = I α = I (ω2 - ω1)/t = 0.00697708 N m
(b)
work done w = change in rotational kinetic energy
= (1/2)*I*(ω2)^2
= 0.5*0.003*3.48854*3.48854
= 0.0182 J

Mowgli said:
Is this correct?

mass m = 0.25 Kg
diameter d = 31 cm
radius r = 15.5 cm = 0.155 m
moment of inertia I = (1/2)mr^2 = 0.003 Kg m^2
(a)
ω1 = 0
n = 33 1/3 = 100/3 = 33.33 rpm = 0.5555 rps
ω2 = 2πn = 2*3.14*0.5555 = 3.48854 rad/s
t = 1.5 s
we know that
torque τ = I α = I (ω2 - ω1)/t = 0.00697708 N m
(b)
work done w = change in rotational kinetic energy
= (1/2)*I*(ω2)^2
= 0.5*0.003*3.48854*3.48854
= 0.0182 J

'Looks okay to me. :approve:

Sure, I can help you get started on this problem. Let's start by defining some terms and equations that will be useful in solving this problem.

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the point of rotation. The equation for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the point of rotation. In this problem, the force will be the average force applied to the turntable and the distance will be the radius of the turntable.

Net work is the total amount of work done on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance the object moves. The equation for net work is W = F x d, where W is net work, F is force, and d is distance. In this problem, the force will be the average force applied to the turntable and the distance will be the distance the turntable moves, which is related to its angular velocity and time.

To solve this problem, we will need to use the equations for torque and net work, as well as the equation for angular acceleration, which is a = α x r, where a is angular acceleration, α is angular velocity, and r is the radius of the turntable.

a) To find the average torque, we need to find the average force applied to the turntable. Since we know the mass and diameter of the turntable, we can calculate its moment of inertia, which is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion. The equation for moment of inertia for a disk is I = 1/2 x m x r^2, where I is moment of inertia, m is mass, and r is radius. Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get I = 1/2 x 0.250kg x (0.155m)^2 = 0.00382 kgm^2.

Next, we can use the equation for angular acceleration to find the average force applied to the turntable. Since the turntable starts from rest and reaches operating speed in 1.50 seconds, we can use the equation α = Δω/Δt, where α is angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time. The angular velocity

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

How do you calculate average torque?

The formula for average torque is: average torque = (total torque)/(time interval). This means you need to find the total torque applied to an object and divide it by the time interval over which it was applied.

What is net work?

Net work is the total work done on an object, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of the forces applied. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

How do you calculate net work?

The formula for net work is: net work = force x displacement x cos(theta), where theta is the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of the displacement. This takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the forces applied to an object.

How are torque and net work related?

Torque and net work are related because in order to calculate net work, you need to consider the rotational forces or torques applied to an object. This means that torque can affect the net work done on an object, and vice versa.