Analysis 2- upper/lower integral vs integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of two inequalities for bounded functions. The first one states that the integral of a function over a bounded interval is always less than or equal to the upper integral, while the second one states that it is also equal to the supremum of lower sums and the infimum of upper sums. The speaker also mentions wanting to prove these inequalities by induction, but it is unclear what they are inducting on. However, the inequalities can be derived from the basic definitions provided in the equations section.
perlawin
1. True or false (show work): For all bounded functions:
(L) ∫_a^b▒f(x)dx≤∫_a^b▒f(x)dx≤(U)∫_a^b▒f(x)dx

2. (L) ∫_a^b▒f(x)dx= sup{L(f,P) s.t P is a partition of [a,b]}
(U)∫_a^b▒f(x)dx= inf{U(f,P) s.t. P is a partition of [a,b]}

3. I am sure that this is true. What I want to do is prove it by induction. Specifically, prove that the first inequality holds and then show that the second one does. I have drawn pictures representing a base case (how the lower integral is less than the regular one), and I have pictures that illustrate how the amount of area increases but is never exact. How do I actually write it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are inducting on, as I don't see any natural numbers in the problem. However, those inequalities should follow from the basic definitions that you've already listed in the relevant equations section.

What is Analysis 2 and how does it relate to upper/lower integrals?

Analysis 2 is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions, sequences, and series. It builds upon the concepts learned in Analysis 1 and delves deeper into the properties and behavior of these mathematical objects. Upper and lower integrals are important tools used in Analysis 2 to calculate the area under a curve or the volume of a solid. They are closely related to the concept of integration, which is a central topic in Analysis 2.

What is an upper integral and how is it calculated?

An upper integral is a type of Riemann sum that is used to approximate the area under a curve. It is calculated by dividing the area under the curve into smaller rectangles and then taking the sum of the largest values of each rectangle. In other words, it is the maximum value of the sum of rectangles that lie above the curve. The more rectangles used, the more accurate the calculation will be.

What is a lower integral and how is it calculated?

A lower integral is also a type of Riemann sum used to approximate the area under a curve. It is calculated by dividing the area into smaller rectangles and taking the sum of the smallest values of each rectangle. This means that the lower integral is the minimum value of the sum of rectangles that lie below the curve. As with the upper integral, using more rectangles will result in a more accurate calculation.

What is the difference between an upper integral and a lower integral?

The main difference between an upper and lower integral is the direction in which the rectangles are drawn. For the upper integral, the rectangles are drawn above the curve, whereas for the lower integral, the rectangles are drawn below the curve. This results in different values for the area under the curve, with the upper integral giving an overestimate and the lower integral giving an underestimate.

How do upper and lower integrals relate to the concept of integration?

Upper and lower integrals are closely related to the concept of integration. In fact, the upper and lower integrals can be used to define the definite integral, which is a fundamental concept in Analysis 2. The definite integral is used to calculate the area under a curve or the volume of a solid and is often denoted by the symbol ∫. By using the upper and lower integrals, we can approximate the value of the definite integral and get a better understanding of the behavior of functions and shapes in mathematics.