Objects passing from air to water without leaking

• Thread starter Boy@n
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Water
In summary: Some simple experiments you can try:-Pour a small amount of water into a glass and place an object in the water-Close the glass and wait a few minutes-Open the glass and observe if the object has made it to the water-Try different liquids and temperatures
Boy@n
Is there a system (e.g. valve) which enables objects (e.g. ball) passing from air to water containers without leaking?

I imagine this is near to impossible since water is nearly 1,000 times denser than air...

To make it work air would have to be compressed so air density in air container is close to that of water density in water container?

I wonder how those openings in submarines work (serving divers to go in/out of water at depths) where water doesn't fill the submarine?
(I doubt air pressure in submarine is equal to water pressure there at great depths, or is it?)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Boy@n said:
Is there a system (e.g. valve) which enables objects (e.g. ball) passing from air to water containers without leaking?

Yes there is a very special valve that governs just this, in engineering terms it's referred to as the Atmosphere.

I imagine this is near to impossible since water is nearly 1,000 times denser than air...

Not true, conduct an experiment: turn on a bath, step into the water, then step out, neglecting the water on your legs and assuming you have a plug in, observe if it leaks. write back with the results, I'm interested to know what they are.

I wonder how those openings in submarines work (serving divers to go in/out of water at depths) where water doesn't fill the submarine?
(I doubt air pressure in submarine is equal to water pressure there at great depths, or is it?)

some special kind of submarines do run the same internal pressure as the outside water pressure, kind of like upside-down boats. The titanic was a great example of this.

I see my question is not clear enough.

I'm asking about a way for object to pass into water from air through vertical 'wall' (say via valve in middle of that wall)...

Last edited:
MATLABdude said:
Thanks! That's pretty close to what I'm seeking...

Airlock: 'The air pressure of the airlock—the space between the doors—is equalized with that of the environment beyond the next door to open.'

Is there a simpler way to make small objects pass from air to water (without the need for adapting pressure)?

Last edited:

What causes objects to leak when passing from air to water?

When an object is submerged in water, it experiences an increase in pressure due to the weight of the water above it. This pressure can cause small leaks or cracks in the object, causing it to leak.

How can objects be designed to prevent leaks when passing from air to water?

Objects can be designed with materials that are impermeable or resistant to water, such as plastic or rubber. Additionally, the shape and structure of the object can be designed to withstand the pressure of water and prevent leaks.

Are there any natural phenomena that can cause objects to pass from air to water without leaking?

Yes, there are certain natural phenomena, such as surface tension and the hydrophobic effect, that can prevent leaks when objects pass from air to water. Surface tension is the cohesion of water molecules on the surface, creating a barrier that can prevent small leaks. The hydrophobic effect is the repulsion between water and non-polar materials, which can also prevent leaks.

What factors can influence whether an object leaks when passing from air to water?

The material, shape, and design of the object can greatly influence whether it will leak when passing from air to water. Other factors such as the pressure and temperature of the water, as well as the duration of submersion, can also play a role in whether an object will leak or not.

Can objects that have leaked when passing from air to water be repaired?

It depends on the severity and location of the leak. Small leaks may be able to be repaired with waterproof sealants, while larger or more complex leaks may require more extensive repairs or replacement of the object.