Learn chemical reaction equations?

In summary, someone suggested that the best way for the person to learn chemistry is to learn reaction equations. There are some problems with this suggestion, such as the fact that the person doesn't have the ability to learn it in school, and also the fact that online resources are harder to understand. However, by trying to learn reaction equations, the person will be able to predict the products of most simple reactions.
LogicalAcid
In order to understand some areas of chemistry I have gotten interested in, I believe it in my best interest to learn reaction equations. Like every other reality situation, there are problems. For one, my school doesn't have the ability to teach me this, secondly, online ones for me are harder to grasp, I prefer one-one-one. While I am not asking someone to waste their time on me, I am asking some people to provide links to sites they find suitable for me (in other words, not useless).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
LogicalAcid said:
learn reaction equations

What do you mean? Do you want to learn how to balance them? Thats relatively easy. Or how to predict products? There is no sure method, you need to learn a lot about properties of compounds and even then you will be surprised be the reality.

Borek said:
What do you mean? Do you want to learn how to balance them? Thats relatively easy. Or how to predict products? There is no sure method, you need to learn a lot about properties of compounds and even then you will be surprised be the reality.

Lets say we have two elements, I know how they react (moderately) but don't know how to write the equation of how they react, and yes predict products of reactions and why those products are the ones made

To write reaction equation you have to know formulas of reactants and products. As I wrote earlier, predicting products requires a lot of knowledge, in a way that's what the chemistry is all about, so in fact all the time you learn chemistry, you learn how to predict products.

Earlier you were trying to learn something about acids and bases, I proposed you to try to predict products and balance reaction equation for HCl and NaOH. Try again, you were already partially right then. That will help you predict products of most simple reactions between acids and bases, that's whole class of reactions, one of the steps on the ladder up.

--

Borek said:
To write reaction equation you have to know formulas of reactants and products. As I wrote earlier, predicting products requires a lot of knowledge, in a way that's what the chemistry is all about, so in fact all the time you learn chemistry, you learn how to predict products.

Earlier you were trying to learn something about acids and bases, I proposed you to try to predict products and balance reaction equation for HCl and NaOH. Try again, you were already partially right then. That will help you predict products of most simple reactions between acids and bases, that's whole class of reactions, one of the steps on the ladder up.

--
buffer calculator, concentration calculator
pH calculator, stoichiometry calculator

What I think will happen in a reaction between HCI and NaOH is the hyrodgen ions in each of the compoundswill 'break up' because they are in a aqueous soultion, so they will form a ionic bond between each other, neutralizing each others charge. The two hydrogen atoms will then react with oxygen and form a covalent bond, making H20, the chlorine (is it an ion, if so why?) will react with the sodium and form sodium chloride, or basically, table salt. Good enough?

Convoluted and mostly wrong in the middle, but the final answer is right - when acids react with bases, products are salts and water.

When base dissociates it gives off OH- which reacts with H+ from acid dissociation, so neutralization reaction is basically

OH- + H+ = H2O

But don't count on more similar lessons on every kind of possible reactions from me or anyone else here. That was just an example. Now go here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=103410

and try to learn from the resources presented there. We will be more than happy to help you understand the material once you will start learning on your own.

What is a chemical reaction equation?

A chemical reaction equation is a symbolic representation of a chemical reaction, in which the reactants and products are represented by chemical formulas and the reaction is shown by the use of arrows.

Why is it important to learn chemical reaction equations?

Learning chemical reaction equations is important because it helps us understand how different chemicals interact and transform into new substances. It also allows us to predict the outcome of a reaction and helps us in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and manufacturing.

What are the basic components of a chemical reaction equation?

The basic components of a chemical reaction equation are the reactants (substances that are present at the start of the reaction), the products (substances that are formed as a result of the reaction), and the arrow (which shows the direction of the reaction).

How do you balance a chemical reaction equation?

To balance a chemical reaction equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) of the reactants and products.

What are some common types of chemical reactions?

Some common types of chemical reactions include synthesis (when two or more substances combine to form a more complex substance), decomposition (when a compound breaks down into simpler substances), single replacement (when one element replaces another in a compound), and double replacement (when two compounds exchange ions to form two new compounds).