Relationship between cell potential and concentration

In summary, the conversation involved conducting a lab using an electrochemical cell to determine the relationship between cell potential and concentration. Two equations were derived from lines of best fit, one for cell potential of Ag vs. Cu concentration and the other for cell potential of Zn vs. Cu concentration. The discussion then shifted to the need for a single equation to describe the variation in measured cell potential based on the concentrations in the cathode and anode half-cells, with the suggestion of trying log(concentration) for better results.
Westlund2
I did a lab using an electrochemical cell to establish a relationship between cell potential and concentration. I derived two equations from lines of best fit. One is Cell potential of Ag vs. Cu Concentration: y = -0.04520x+0.5515. The other is cell potential of Zn vs. Cu concentration: y = 0.03720x+0.7855.

Now I am supposed to derive a single equation from these two, to describe how the measured cell potential varies depending on the concentration of ions in the cathode half-cell and the concentration of ions in the anode half-cell.

Can someone give me an idea or help me out?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Have you tried if log(concentration) doesn't give better results?

What is the relationship between cell potential and concentration?

The relationship between cell potential and concentration is known as the Nernst equation, which states that the cell potential is directly proportional to the logarithm of the concentration ratio of the products and reactants in a redox reaction. This means that as the concentration of reactants increases, the cell potential decreases, and vice versa.

How does concentration affect cell potential?

The concentration of reactants and products in a redox reaction directly affects the cell potential. As the concentration of reactants increases, the cell potential decreases, and as the concentration of products increases, the cell potential increases. This is due to the Nernst equation, which takes into account the concentration ratio of products and reactants.

Can cell potential be used to determine concentration?

Cell potential can be used to determine the concentration of reactants or products in a redox reaction. This is done by using the Nernst equation to calculate the concentration ratio of products and reactants, and then solving for the unknown concentration using the known cell potential.

What is the significance of cell potential and concentration in electrochemistry?

Cell potential and concentration play a crucial role in electrochemistry, as they determine the direction and extent of a redox reaction. By controlling the concentration of reactants, the cell potential can be manipulated to either drive the reaction forward or backward, allowing for control over the production or consumption of electricity.

How does temperature affect the relationship between cell potential and concentration?

Temperature has a significant impact on the relationship between cell potential and concentration. As temperature increases, the cell potential decreases, and the rate of reaction increases. This is because temperature affects the rate of electron transfer, which is an essential factor in determining the cell potential.