Proving the Equality of Logarithms with Different Bases

• Thread starter TN17
  • Start date
In summary, the method shown in the online article is a way to solve exponential equations with a logarithm using the property of logs.
TN17

Homework Statement

How would I show that 1/logab = logba ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to start because of the different bases.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What is [tex] b^{\log_b a} [/tex]?

Tide said:
Hint: What is [tex] b^{\log_b a} [/tex]?

Is that Power Laws of Logs or Techniques for solving exponential equations, because I haven't learned those yet. :confused:
We haven't learned anything with logs as exponents yet.

That would be a fundamental identity for logarithms and should have been the first thing you learned about them. Basically, exponentials and logarithms are inverse functions of each other. Check with your textbook. :)

Tide said:
That would be a fundamental identity for logarithms and should have been the first thing you learned about them. Basically, exponentials and logarithms are inverse functions of each other. Check with your textbook. :)

Yes, we learned how to write an exponentials as a log and vice versa, and we learned how to evaulate logs, like log28 where x=3. But we haven't seen anything with "log___" as the actual exponent before. :S

What you need to know is that

[tex]\log_b b^a = a[/tex] and [tex]b^{\log_b a} = a[/tex]

Tide said:
What you need to know is that

[tex]\log_b b^a = a[/tex] and [tex]b^{\log_b a} = a[/tex]

I found this online:
"Remember that logb a = log a / log b for any base/subscript.

Then 1 / [loga b] = 1 / [log b / log a]

Now dividing by a fraction is the same as mulitplying its reciproical.

1 * (log a / log b)

log a / log b

Now use the fact at the top to change this into
log a / log b = logb a
Therefore, 1 / [loga b] = logb a."

Is that the same thing you were talking about?

We have a quiz on:
Exponential function + its inverse
Logarithms (simple problems)
Transformations of log functions
Using log scales in physical sciences (ex: pH scale)
and Exponential equations.

I'm familiar with all of those, but when I overheard someone from the other class talking about this question right after their quiz, I was curious, so that's why I asked...

I think Tide was going for this approach:

Start with [itex]b^{\log_b a} = a[/itex] and then take the log, base a, of both sides to get

[tex]\log_a (b^{\log_b a}) = \log_a a[/tex]

Use a property of logs to bring the exponent down, do a little algebra, and you'll get the result you wanted.

The way you did it is fine as well. There are often multiple ways to show the same thing.

Vela,

Exactly! I had assumed the original poster hadn't seen the base conversion yet.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that calculates the power to which a fixed number, called the base, must be raised to produce a given number. In other words, it is the inverse function of exponentiation.

2. How do you solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use logarithmic properties to rewrite the equation in a simpler form, and then solve for the variable. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or computer software to find the numerical value of the logarithm.

3. Can a logarithm be negative?

Yes, a logarithm can be negative. This happens when the base of the logarithm is greater than 1 and the given number is between 0 and 1. It is also important to note that a logarithm with a negative value does not have a real number solution.

4. What is the difference between logarithmic and exponential functions?

The main difference between logarithmic and exponential functions is that logarithmic functions are the inverse of exponential functions. In other words, in a logarithmic function, the variable is in the exponent, while in an exponential function, the variable is in the base.

5. Where are logarithms used in real life?

Logarithms are used in various fields, such as science, engineering, finance, and statistics. They are commonly used to express large numbers in a more manageable form, as well as to solve exponential growth and decay problems. They also have practical applications in measuring sound and earthquake intensity scales.