Tricky logarithmic equation at International Baccalaureate high school

In summary, the student was having trouble solving a math problem and was using basic logarithmic identities, but was always ending up with something on the form of log5(a+bx) or log5(a+b*x). After some rearrangements, he was able to solve the problem by taking the logarithm on both sides, after moving all the terms to one side.
physmatics
Hi all!

From time to time, I work as a math tutor. Normally this doesn't cause me any trouble, but a couple of days ago a student from an IB school came to me with this problem:

2*5(x+1) = 1 + 3/(5x). Solve for x and write the solution on the form a + log5b.

I've been trying to solve this problem for a couple of hours, using basic logarithmic identities, but what bothers me is that I always end up with something on the form log5(a+bx) or log5(a+b*x).
I've also tried taking the logarithm on both sides, after rearranging to 2*5(x+1) - 3/(5x) = 1. This gives 0 at the right-hand side of the equation - could this be of any help?

I'm very thankful for replies!

Physics news on Phys.org
(Never mind I didnt read it properly)

Last edited:
madah12 said:
by taking log base 5 of both sides
log(2)+(x+1) =log(3)-x
That doesn't look right.
[tex]\log_5 \left( 1 + \frac{3}{5^x} \right) = log_5 3 - x[/tex]
?

No, instead, I would start by multiplying both sides by 5x, after moving all the terms to one side:
[tex]5^x \left(2\cdot 5^{x + 1} - 1 - \frac{3}{5^x} \right) = 5^x (0)[/tex]
What happens next?

No, instead, I would start by multiplying both sides by 5x, after moving all the terms to one side:
[tex]
5^x \left(2\cdot 5^{x + 1} - 1 - \frac{3}{5^x} \right) = 5^x (0)
[/tex]
What happens next?

After some rearrangements, I get:
[tex]x+log_5 (2*5^{x+1}-1) = log_5 3 [/tex]

This is what I mean by "always ending up with something on the form log5(a+bx) or log5(a+b*x)".

Now, I could use a subtraction identity that will give me:
[tex]x+log_5 (2*5^{x+1}) + log_5 ((1-1/(2*5^{x+1})))[/tex] = log53
even though I just don't get rid of the subtraction in the logarithm. Latex stopped working for me, it should be log5(1-1/(2*5(x+1))).

This is exactly where I am stuck!

If you multiply through by 5x then you get

[tex]2.5^{x+1}.5^x=5^x+3[/tex]

simplifying:

[tex]10.5^{2x}-5^x-3=0[/tex]

and this is simply a quadratic in 5x, which as you can obviously tell will lead to [tex]5^x=k[/tex] and then taking the log of both sides will give you the solution for x, which you should then simplify again with log rules to get the desired form.

physmatics said:
After some rearrangements, I get:
[tex]x+log_5 (2*5^{x+1}-1) = log_5 3 [/tex]
I think the problem is that you're taking the logarithm of both sides "too soon." What Mentallic said was what I was trying to get you to do.

[tex]5^x \left(2\cdot 5^{x + 1} - 1 - \frac{3}{5^x} \right) = 5^x (0)[/tex]

After some manipulations you should get
[tex]10 \cdot 5^{2x} - 5^x - 3 = 0[/tex]
(I don't think Mentallic meant to put in decimal points.)

If you let w = 5x, then you get
[tex]10 w^{2} - w - 3 = 0[/tex]
, a simple quadratic (which is factorable). After solving for w, plug back 5x in for w, and then take the logarithm of both sides.

eumyang said:
(I don't think Mentallic meant to put in decimal points.)

Oh pssh what's the difference between my dot and the dot you used? :biggrin:

Thank you all!
I get
[tex] 5^{x} = 3/5 [/tex]
so
[tex] x = log_5 3/5 [/tex]
which I should have realized earlier.
Now I can be less ashamed as a tutor...

physmatics said:
Thank you all!
I get
[tex] 5^{x} = 3/5 [/tex]
so
[tex] x = log_5 3/5 [/tex]
which I should have realized earlier.
Now I can be less ashamed as a tutor...
Come to think of it, are you really finished? You said in your original post:
physmatics said:
2*5(x+1) = 1 + 3/(5x). Solve for x and write the solution on the form a + log5b.
(Emphasis mine.) If b is meant to be a positive integer, then
[tex]x = \log_5 \frac{3}{5} [/tex]
is not in the form of a + log5b. But you can certainly rewrite your answer into the correct form, and I'll leave it for you to do that. :wink:

Mentallic said:

Since you're working in LaTeX anyway, you can use \cdot to get that dot so that it looks like multiplication rather than a decimal point.

Mark44 said:
Since you're working in LaTeX anyway, you can use \cdot to get that dot so that it looks like multiplication rather than a decimal point.

Ahh yeah I tend to do that kind of stuff. Like only recently did I realize that you can write \sin rather than just sin in latex and it makes it more compact and neater. Subtle differences that mean the same thing :tongue:

Mentallic said:
Clearly eumyang is working at a higher level than you are! :biggrin:

HallsofIvy said:
Clearly eumyang is working at a higher level than you are! :biggrin:

haha :rofl:

Write [tex]u=5^{x}[/tex] to arrive at the equation:
[tex]
10u=1+\frac{3}{u}\Rightarrow 10u^{2}-u-3=0
[/tex]
Solve this and you will get your answer, there will be some manipulation involved to get the answer [tex]1+\log_{5}k[/tex] but it will be worth it.

This is SUCH a nice question that I am going to set my students this very question.

1. What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation that involves the use of logarithms. Logarithms are mathematical tools that help us solve exponential equations, where a variable is in the exponent.

2. How do you solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you need to use the properties of logarithms. These include the product, quotient, and power rule. You can also use the change of base formula to convert between different bases. Once you apply these rules, you can simplify the equation and solve for the variable.

3. What makes a logarithmic equation tricky?

Logarithmic equations can be tricky because they involve manipulating both the base and the exponent. In addition, there are multiple steps involved in solving these equations, which can be confusing for some students. Furthermore, logarithmic equations often have multiple solutions, so it's important to check your answer to ensure it is valid.

4. How are logarithmic equations used in the International Baccalaureate (IB) high school curriculum?

In the IB high school curriculum, logarithmic equations are typically taught in the mathematics courses, such as IB Math SL or HL. They are used to solve real-world problems involving exponential growth or decay, such as population growth, radioactive decay, or compound interest. Logarithmic equations are also important in other subjects, such as physics and chemistry, where they are used to model natural phenomena.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving tricky logarithmic equations at the IB high school level?

The best way to improve your skills in solving tricky logarithmic equations is to practice regularly. Make sure you understand the properties of logarithms and how to apply them in different situations. It's also helpful to work on challenging problems and seek help from your teacher or peers if you get stuck. Additionally, reviewing past exams or practice problems from previous IB exams can also help you prepare for these types of equations.